3DCoat Forums

Rare Crashes -> Loosing all UI Theme, Preferences and Hotkeys

• Advanced Member

Hello!

When working in 2022.34 (But also happened to me before, I feel less often though) certain crashes will cause 3D Coat to reset itself. This means UI Theme will reset, Preferences settings are gone and all hotkeys are deleted.

This causes tremendous setback in workflow. I think this should not happen.

There is no bug report available when it happens. It will just severely crash, causing any audio background music I listen to to stutter and then the app just closes down.

After that, I can not see my "Recently opened files" and everything is just reset, as if I had a fresh install of 3D Coat.

Now, I know my way around 3D Coat to customize it again, but it is annoying and unnecessary, a major stability/trust flaw on the long run. You don't want to be anxious for an app to crash just because it resets the entire settings of the app to default. That is a real productivity problem.

I don't know why this happens, but to me it seems there is something severely "unsafe" that was overlooked in development when the application crashes in a certain way.

I think it happens mostly to me when I use the Cut Tool. Seems to be during cutting operations. Not entirely sure if that's the only occasion though.

Wish I could provide more info, but there is nothing to extract unfortunately, because it just terminates itself.

My hardware:

• Ryzen 5900x
  • RTX 3060ti
  • 64GB DDR4

Hope this can be solved somehow. Not sure if I am the only one who experiences this.

I am working more and more in 3D Coat now as a long time Blender user and I am loving it the more I am using it. Everyday I discover something new jaw dropping that amazes me and is not easily done in other apps. The way the app handles high poly with lots of data and gives you the freedom to just cut and punch how ever you see fit is just fantastic. The Pose brush for me is awe fulfilling, and insanely powerful and artistic way to model once you understood it. The powerful curve toolset is jus insane.

Hope rough edges like this could be evened out. I feel this is something high prio if it might affect a lot of users.

Edited by Henry Townshend
  • Thanks 1

Try this:

Edit > Preferences > Vertical synchronization > Toggle ON Vertical synchronization: Limit FPS by the display VSync frequency. It helps to decrease the GPU load.

Hope it help