3DCoat Forums

Santa's Hot Rod Sled

kenmo

• Advanced Member

A few years ago I created this hot rod sled for Santa using a combination of Wings3D and Sketchup (free version). The model was exported to e-onsoftware's Vue where I textured the car and rendered a basic scene.

I then painted in more details (using ArtRage) on the sled, created a Santa figure, painted in trees, smoke, deer and flying snow behind tread.

Did color adjustments using Photoshop.

HRA2_13_Santa's_New_Sleigh EDIT 2018=KRM02.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I recently looked at the model and did not like the topology nor the rear treads.

So I recreated the fan, alternator and pullies as well as the rear tread track in MOI 3D and cleaned up the basic topology of the rest of the model in Blender 3D.

I will create the interior at a later day as I want to create an revised image using Vue and a Santa toon figure I purchased from DAZ.

Cheers & Happy Hollidays!!!!

Santas Hot Rod 01.JPG

Santas Hot Rod 02.JPG

Santas Hot Rod 03.JPG

Santas Hot Rod 04.JPG

Santas Hot Rod 05.JPG

• Advanced Member

Engine fan belt pullies and alternator and rear tread track modeled in MOI3D. I attempted to model in Blender but found it too difficult to create the belts.

I only wish there were tutorials or how-to's on modeling hard surface objects like cars and trucks. Sorry but tutorials for spaceships and boats are just not the same as hard organic surfaces like cars.

SntaPulley.JPG

SntaTread.JPG

• Advanced Member

organic surfaces like cars....

hard surface isnt 3d magic... its jsut replicating a surface area that the eyes recognizes to be solid like plastic or metal

in blender you can sculpt hard surface or model it using subdiv plus an edge loop close to the edge you're defining ... you can also select the edge and crease it use ctrl+e this will tell the subdivision modifier that that edge needs sharpening,

this too also can be done in 3dcoat too... the modelling tools aren't as advance as blender and sculpting hard surface is hard too but take small steps and if you're sculpting anything hard surface , have your intensity as low as possible and be pacient

• Like 1