3DCoat Forums

Retopo - Issues with scale, part 3

DustyShinigami

• Advanced Member

Hi

It just seems like I'm never going to get to grips with this... :-\ Each project I work on, I run into the same problem time and time again. I think I've done everything correctly and the software throws me a curveball.

I'm not sure if it's because I started the scene on my uni's version and then carried over to mine, which is different. I swear when I first set everything up, I did the correct steps. And that's with and without setting the measurements under Edit > Preferences > Viewport > Measure Units from Milimeters to Centimeters. I might have done that at the start of the retopping project, but testing it just without doing that has still given me the same issue.

I started by going into the Sculpt Room, importing my decimated high poly, clicking 'No' on the box that comes up when you hit Apply, going into the Retopo Room and retopologising everything. And then once I export it out into Maya or Max, it's tiny compared to my original high poly and decimated mesh. And then if I re-set everything up in 3DCoat via the Sculpt Room, I'll bring in my retopped mesh, and that'll be tiny as well. :unknw:

I tried Freezing Transformations on the decimated high poly, and setting a scene up with that, and I tried without by just bringing it into 3DCoat from ZBrush. Same thing. It always starts out fine, and appears to be the right scale (or I presume it is) when I start the retopping, but once it's exported out into another package, it's tiny. I really don't get it. And I don't know if it's me doing something wrong still somewhere or if it's 3DCoat. :wacko:

I'm still not sure (or I can't remember if someone said) if it's even necessary to set the measurement units up first in 3DCoat. And when you import a high poly/reference mesh into the Sculpt Room and hit Apply, if you are meant to select 'no' like I've been advised to do. Surely 'yes' would make sense...? Especially if it's keeping the same scale etc.?

Thanks

• Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

To match meter scale, change the Preferences ➔ Viewport ➔ Fixed Scene Scale to 100, and set MeasureUnits to Meters. Beware though: this can cause very dense primitives in 3DCoat.

Thing is though, I've been taught and I always use Centimeters. Would that need to be set to 10 instead?

EDIT: Setting it to 100 in Centimeters makes the retopped meshes align with the high, but it still comes into Maya very small compared to the high. If I set it to 10, the retopped meshes still come in very small compared to the high in 3DCoat.

Edited by DustyShinigami

• Advanced Member

I think I've figured out the solution to this. I've set the Measure Units to Centimeters and the Use Fixed Scene Scale to 10.000000.

3DCoatGL64_TEj3vXyuDy.thumb.png.345b3d155c1afb49a7fa9106a9607893.png

Define Measurement Units:

3DCoatGL64_5wvIhzLbGp.thumb.png.7b8fdbebafd3d5ab4a0ffeef444dfdbd.png

Edit Scene Scale:

3DCoatGL64_XHd7TKodss.thumb.png.94deba664ad7e98a0d55b50cd7440e28.png

I'm guessing these are right...?

With these settings, my retopped mesh is matching up with the high. Once it's loaded into Maya, it's tiny compared to the high.

However, if I set the Edit Scene Scale to 1.000000, the retopped mesh comes in small compared to the sculpt. So if I scale it up, snap it to the mesh, clean it up, export it out, and load it into Maya, it'll come in at the right scale as the high poly. :good:

3DCoatGL64_YZfyqDDDPm.thumb.png.45a61354b212b71e3ea01a580371f0c2.png

But... is it the right thing to adjust?

Edited by DustyShinigami