3DCoat Forums

How to avoid this mesh irregularities?

When in 3D Coat everything looks more clean, as soon as imported into another software the shading looks like this: 

image.thumb.png.614cd2adbe17b10d3a48781bca9318c3.png

image.thumb.png.3798c110b4d3469d5918c8a550a2473c.png

Is there a way to avoid this? The bottom one is 3dCoat, the top one is Blender. It is just a material applied with roughness 0 to show the shading issues. 

Edited by Marlo

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Yes if you are working on voxel mode without UVs

Switch to Surface mode, retopo and create UVs to bake materials into it.

Hey thanks for the quick answer. 
Currently the workflow is to make something in Blender, do the high poly in 3d Coat and bake the high poly normals into the texture of a handmade retopo version using a different software in pipeline. So basically I use 3D Coat just to create the high poly, everything else is done in different software. What is suggested here?

Edited by Marlo

27 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

This video is old but basically the steps are the same (some tools changed)

Hope this help

The problem is that I don't do the bake in 3d Coat in this pipeline. How do I export the high poly with the same shading which it has in 3d Coat and avoid the problem which is shown in the first post of this thread? The surface (like presented in the first post) is not smooth (it doesn't look smooth). 

Turning the Shading of the HP to Smooth (or Auto-Smooth) doesn't help.

I don't think you understand my problem right. The thing is I know how to Retopo, bake and so on. The true problem is that 3d Coat is at the moment giving me a hard time exporting a high poly with CLEAN shading. Clean flat shading. It doesn't look like presented in 3dCoat, it looks weird and ott. The screenshots show both the same high poly meshes. 

Another example: 

3D Coat Version in Blender: 

image.thumb.png.a0376896faab4fef594f5bd3d74f4385.png

Expected result (what I want from a HP in 3d Coat) :

image.thumb.png.1363d6d1c57588a5b331201d1d2110eb.png

Like you can see on the first screenshot (which is a high poly model done in 3d Coat) the suface looks dotted and not clean. The second one represents the shading I actually need from the high poly. Both results are shown in Blender and it's already set to shade smooth. If I turn flat shading on the results gets even worse. Way more worse.

Edited by Marlo

I don't think you understand my problem right.

Yes because i need more info to help.
Are you working on voxel or surface mode ?
Was the model transformed in one direction without freeze it ? Look at bottom

image.png
Are you doing vertexpaint ?

How do I export the high poly with the same shading which it has in 3dCoat ?

Shading is the way objects are drawn and lit in a 3DC viewport. This is an internal process and cannot be exported. 3DCoat shading and Blender shading are not equivalent.

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

I don't think you understand my problem right.

Yes because i need more info to help.
Are you working on voxel or surface mode ?
Was the model transformed in one direction without freeze it ? Look at bottom

image.png
Are you doing vertexpaint ?

How do I export the high poly with the same shading which it has in 3dCoat ?

Shading is the way objects are drawn and lit in a 3DC viewport. This is an internal process and cannot be exported. 3DCoat shading and Blender shading are not equivalent.

I've already said im doing the High Poly model in 3dCoat...
I have a base mesh in my 3d App (in this case Blender, normal topology, nothing special), I import it into 3d Coat, do sculpting in there and send it back to Blender. Result is shown in screenshots. Shading becomes a problem. In Surface Mode it seems to be fine as long as you don't "smooth All". 

Edited by Marlo

So I made a simple Object like this in 3d Coat with Voxels then converted it to surface mode. After smoothing it in surface mode a few times (smooth All Operation) I retopologized it and baked it in substance painter. Even in the bake you can see these strange lines:

First how the high poly looks in 3dCoat (basically it doesn't matter how I turn the camera, every angle looks fine):

image.thumb.png.22b85605827a6ea7b529ef33ca58e3a4.png

How the high poly looks in Blender - note this is the same model you see above (not the low poly). You can already see the artifacts on the surface: 

image.thumb.png.d8100357fa0ea4f5310836ddd7c5b1b1.png

Bake Result in Substance Painter: 

image.thumb.png.727b95e6c1123ddcfc9d340dcf5058b5.png

Like you can obviously see there is some weird digital lines where it should be smooth.

When I turn on smooth shading for the High poly in Blender it looks similiar to the baked result.

Whatsoever, this is not a decent result and not what I see in 3dCoat. When I smooth the surface in Blender (in sculpt mode with sculpt brush) it start to looks smooth again but this is not a desired workflow at all. 

How can I fix this?!

Edited by Marlo

10 hours ago, Marlo said:

So I made a simple Object like this in 3d Coat with Voxels then converted it to surface mode. After smoothing it in surface mode a few times (smooth All Operation) I retopologized it and baked it in substance painter.

image.png

Have you tried to change something here or does it not matter?

1 hour ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

image.png

Have you tried to change something here or does it not matter?

I can't find your option but it looks like this option is just available and/or for imported objects into 3d Coat. But like you have seen I retopo in 3DCoat, do UVs in RizonUV and export to Substance Painter to bake and texture there. 

Edited by Marlo

1 hour ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

I did all these steps in 3dcoat and then transferred the model to Blender using Applink. Artifacts are not visible.

image.png

Thanks for the reproduction! I realized that I had a lot of res. If I use less res it isn't showing these lines too. Just if I resample with 500K. Is there a way to have a high res dense mesh and keep the good shading?