3DCoat Forums

Smart Materials do not apply correctly

Folx

Question

Hello! I seem to have a problem with applying smart materials. As you can see, in the first photo, my material is applied quite erratically to the surface (I am using "gun_metal_old" material, for reference, but the issue is present with any material). In the 2nd picture I attached the way it should look like.

The 2nd picture is what I did on my computer, where everything seemed to work fine. Now I am on my laptop, where I am experiencing this issue. I probably turned off/on some feature, but I can't for the life of me figure out what.

SmartMat1.PNG

SmartMat2.PNG

16 answers to this question

For me in the end it seemed that the save file itself was corrupted somehow. I started again on a fresh project and everything seemed to work well. Something mustțve happened when I transferred the file from my computer to my laptop...

Avoid using Layer0 it for any purpose but transparency.

It contains mesh data and a “base coat” of paint for baking.
If you erase the paint things still bake just fine, however the transparent areas created will be baked as alpha/trans.
Also if you hide Layer 0 it bakes fine, and entirely with alpha/trans. where any other layer doesn't contain color data.

- What is layer 0 in 3DCoat ?
Think about layers as you think about Photoshop layers. Layer0 is like Background in PS. 

21 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

Does the problem still exist in the latest version 22?

Yes, still there. It doesn't apply correctly. You can save it, restart the program, and load it and it's still incorrect. But then you can re-apply it and it is correct. Its like it is projected across some of the polygons instead of straight on toward the vector normal. So you get a look of brush lines. I'll remember to screen cap the next one. 

6 hours ago, BPBill said:

Yes, still there

How can I make it repeat? I made a sculpture, then retopology, then baked with a normal map. Opened an object in the "Paint" room. Calculated Ambient Occlusion and Curvature map. Then, on several layers, I painted with smart material and filled the object. Didn't find any problems.

7 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

How can I make it repeat? I made a sculpture, then retopology, then baked with a normal map. Opened an object in the "Paint" room. Calculated Ambient Occlusion and Curvature map. Then, on several layers, I painted with smart material and filled the object. Didn't find any problems.

I'll try to make a video at the nearest opportunity. If nobody else is seeing this issue, it could be a driver problem or something. Yet I wouldn't expect that to still be there when I load the project again. I'm using imported OBJ files. I bring in low poly version, map, new, Retopo menu to bring in high poly, import low poly mapped, bake, paint, see the issue, save, restart program, repaint. I don't think the complexity of the OBJ matters. I've seen it on basically a cube. The polygons on a given side look a bit like the seat of a ladder back chair with the edges of the polygons obvious. On restart and repaint, the polygon edges are no longer obvious. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 7:32 AM, Oleg_Shapo said:

Took me awhile to get back around to this. But the first image shows the result of immediately applying the material. The second is after restarting the software and applying the material again. Some materials contain various project names and were blurred out of an abundance of paranoia. 

3DCoatErr.png

3DCoatErr2.png

On 6/19/2023 at 7:32 AM, Oleg_Shapo said:

I updated to the latest (.31) and the issue appears to be gone.

Edit: Never mind, it's still there. One annoying quirk had just masked it. But I'll take this issue over that one. 

Edited by BPBill
update

On 10/21/2023 at 4:32 AM, Carlosan said:

On both test the uvmaps are the same ? Or was changed at import step (using automap) ? :huh:

They are the same. The difference between the two, is one is fresh off of Retopo to the paint room. The material doesn't apply correctly. The other is saved from that point, exit, restart, re-apply material. Now I always save after retopology and restart the program so materials apply correctly. If you apply the materials, save, and open the file, the messed up version is still there. The materials need to be reapplied. 

• Confused 1