3DCoat Forums

baking normal map error

checkhicon

Question

I am having some issues when attempting to bake w/normal map from retopo room to paint room.  These are the current settings in 3d coat.  Is there a way to create normal map without having to bake again and deleting identical paint object when program asks?  Thanks in advancesisibaketexttest_001_3b.thumb.jpg.163da1c7cf331f5935f60d98d07cf69f.jpgCapture.thumb.PNG.4fb35cf796ce39a86a9569afd999f719.PNGCapture11.thumb.PNG.0c7b7152270b3826f9fd6e26e1d55787.PNGCapture1111.thumb.PNG.cc54aeb81651d3bf749925f1fe04ad41.PNG

9 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

digman was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

The reason you can re-bake in the paint room changes from the sculpt mesh to Paint mesh is that if you make minor changes to your sculpt model you do not have to go the whole baking process again. It will rebake and apply the changes to the normal map and any painting you have done. This feature was requested my many users. 

Next the reason you are asked if you want to delete the paint model and layers when re-baking is that in the old days you had to manually delete your paint model and layers to test if your new re-baked fixed problems.  This automatically now does it for you. That was another request by many users. 

I see you have Named Correspondence checked. Did you set this up property in the Retopo room. Did you baked many separate objects at the same time? It could be an occlusion problem without setting up Named Correspondence correctly.

No way to tell the problems for sure unless I could look at your 3DC file. If interested pm me with a link to your 3DC file from a file sharing site and I will look at it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, digman said:

The reason you can re-bake in the paint room changes from the sculpt mesh to Paint mesh is that if you make minor changes to your sculpt model you do not have to go the whole baking process again. It will rebake and apply the changes to the normal map and any painting you have done. This feature was requested my many users. 

Next the reason you are asked if you want to delete the paint model and layers when re-baking is that in the old days you had to manually delete your paint model and layers to test if your new re-baked fixed problems.  This automatically now does it for you. That was another request by many users. 

I see you have Named Correspondence checked. Did you set this up property in the Retopo room. Did you baked many separate objects at the same time? It could be an occlusion problem without setting up Named Correspondence correctly.

No way to tell the problems for sure unless I could look at your 3DC file. If interested pm me with a link to your 3DC file from a file sharing site and I will look at it.

Much gratitude for taking the time to explain and pass on knowledge from one artist to another.  I'll look into a sharing site to send over that file.  Thx again

8 hours ago, digman said:

i hope you got my link