3DCoat Forums

Importing both high-poly and low-poly mesh that has been retopoed is possible, right?

nightcover

Go to solution Solved by digman,

coreball

I understand this is an unusual approach, but is it possible to import low-poly and high-poly mesh into 3DCoat while still using the "Conform Retopo" option to sculpt?

I purchased a subdivision-ready ZBrush file from an outside vendor. I would want to continue sculpting it, but I am aware that 3DCoat does not have subdivs (at least not to the same extent as Zbrush). I'd like to sculpt in 3DCoat instead of ZBrush since I'm more at ease with its sculpt tool. I have saved the top and bottom subdivs as two.obj files in ZBrush.

What is the next step? Where can I find the instructions for importing low-poly as Retopo mesh and high-poly as Sculpt?

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

digman was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

From another post I answered a few weeks ago. 

As long as both models occupy the same xyz coordinates it is not hard to do.

In the sculpt room choose the import tool (left toolbar under Objects) 

Select Import w/o  Voxelization  then use the Open the Mesh command. Select your hi-poly model. Your model will be placed in Surface mode. 

Click on apply and then choose a brush to finalize the import. The reason it does not completely finalized the model after pressing apply is if you want more than one copy of the mesh. Also do not "scale the model". It will come in its original scale. If the model is all quads it will just be triangulated.

Switch to the retopo room.

Under the Mesh menu at the top, Choose Import. Import your low polygon model. 

Your low polygon model will appear in the retopo room workspace. Press the Enter key to confirm the import. 

If your models have the same xyz coordinates, then the low polygon retopo mesh will be at the correct location. 

I normally have auto snap off as 3DC will snap the low polygons vertices to the high poly model. It really depends upon the model if you want Auto Snap on or off. You can try both ways to see what works better for your low polygon model.

Auto Snap is the top menu.

Conform Retopo Mesh is available to you now in the Sculpt Room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

## Important##

Both models high and low must have the same xyz coordinates as mentioned before.

Import.jpg

• Like 2