3DCoat Forums

Live Booleans Collapse not working

Go to solution Solved by Henry Townshend,

• Advanced Member

Furthermore, on export, when exporting with decimation, as is, the live booleans mesh gets destroyed. Is it not meant to be kept as non destructive and be still able to export the live boolean result? Do we really need to collapse before export?

This is how the mesh looks like when exported. This starts to happen to me a lot lately. Even when non decimated (see second pic) the mesh comes out destroyed.

image.thumb.png.af163de455aa75f9bde7c8a2cef16792.pngimage.thumb.png.6f2956a5fddb4b08a520f06445d59997.png

• Advanced Member

Funnily, the "Decimate -> Auto UV Map -> Export" works and delivers the expected geometry. But of course this takes much longer and is not a good alternative when wanting to iterate fast in engine.(I wonder how those decimation algorithms differ? Shouldn't they be the same?)

image.thumb.png.49ea578e6e4739b03d98441aa59edfc6.png This is the auto export result

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies @Oleg Shapov. Please have a look at this first video, as I begin from a regular 3d coat scene, nothing special. The problem of exporting still happening. When collapsed, it does work fine, but not with the boolean tree still intact. However, Auto Export will allow to export the mesh intact, but not the regular export function. (But the auto export takes more time for a simple geo export) (see 2nd video)

As for the live boolean tree collapsing, it feels a bit like hit or miss for me right now. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have used Instancer in the first video to create those array of cylinders. Is that maybe not recommended? Should Instancer not work Live boolean? (See 3rd video).
However, I have applied the Instances in the first video in the thread top above, so in theory it just one volume on one layer. But maybe, having using instances to create those in the first place is the problem? Messing with the collapse somehow?

Edited by Henry Townshend
clarify

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, Oleg Shapov said:

All three instances must be children of the same parent layer, then there will be no problems

image.png

Oh awesome! Thank you very much! This works. However, when I then collapse the boolean tree, the booleans are again, as in my first example, sadly not applied (even when I do uninstance all before collapse):

• Advanced Member
17 minutes ago, Oleg Shapov said:

I can't repeat it. Please send me the scene before Operation Collapse.

Sure here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2xl1m9o70r88nwbkeml9v/CollapseProblem.3b?rlkey=y2w0efwij1lmgwu9tbhwk3yge&dl=0

Something I forgot to say: I am using a Scaler Master applied Scene Scale of 0.01, to match Unity internal measurement.

image.png.9c611eb46158646314d64965c6e3d8ce.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oleg Shapov said:

All three instances must be children of the same parent layer, then there will be no problems

image.png

While this works, I am still a bit confused by it: Cause when I unparent the instances from the subtree, they stop being instances, afaics, with no way to alter the source instance and have the changes reflected aynmore. So it seems Live Boolean is not working right now with real instances ?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

@Oleg Shapov Here is another file where I am simply not able to collapse the tree (however, I would urgently need to proceed to sculpting with this shape, which is somewhat impossible if I can not apply the boolean : ( 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nkzxwufmstpyxa27nwqez/CollapseProblem_2.3b?rlkey=h7znt9x6q5zueu53h08ld944d&dl=0