3DCoat Forums

Multiple UV set

BluEgo

• Advanced Member

I tried to import a model with multiple UV sets in per pixel painting mode.

The start window recognizes that there are two uv sets, but when I try to open the Texture UV editor, the second one is empty.

Why?

Furthermore, I would like to know if there is a way to assign a layer to one uv-set, because it is strange to me that you can import a model with multiple uv-sets and then you can't paint on them simultaneously.

Thank you !

• Advanced Member
Look MTL file for details. 3D-Coat uses next rule while reading OBJ files with MTL files:

- every material is new uv-set

- if same texture is assigned (referred) in MTL file for several materials they will combine to single UV-set (map_Kd command in MTL file)

Thank you Andrew.

I am not using OBJ, but LWO, because a .obj file cannot use more than one uv set.

So I can have two completly different UV set on the same model. If I can't use them on 3DC, I think this should be definitively a feature request to take in account :)

Of course, in every Layer I can paint, I should also be able to assign it to the UV set I prefer.

• Advanced Member
Am I right in thinking you are saying that you have an object which has polys with two sets of uv maps applied? For example, a mesh that is unwrapped in one map, and the same mesh planar projected on another map?

Exactly.

• Advanced Member

That's the problem. 3DC does not currently support more than one UV map per poly. To get around this you may have to work in stages, painting two single-mapped models and comping the results together in LW onto the dual-mapped model. Should be easy enough using LW's layers or nodes. You can also use 3DC or LW to bake from one map to the other. But for now only one UV set per poly in 3DC.

• Advanced Member
That's the problem. 3DC does not currently support more than one UV map per poly. To get around this you may have to work in stages, painting two single-mapped models and comping the results together in LW onto the dual-mapped model. Should be easy enough using LW's layers or nodes. You can also use 3DC or LW to bake from one map to the other. But for now only one UV set per poly in 3DC.

I resolved baking one of my textures from one UV set to the other, just to have a preview of what I am doing in 3DC.

Anyway could be interesting having this kind of support