3DCoat Forums

Working In Scale?

Digital777

• Advanced Member

Im just wondering do other people try to work in scale or do you just model at whatever size?

I ask because i was making a curve based figure and then later realized it was massive in size. With 3d i have always been confused by scale as it's basically free work space but then when you compare objects side by side they can be very different. So yeah im just wondering do you have any special workflows/tips or do you just not take note of it untill before/after export?

• Advanced Member

Im just wondering do other people try to work in scale or do you just model at whatever size?

I ask because i was making a curve based figure and then later realized it was massive in size. With 3d i have always been confused by scale as it's basically free work space but then when you compare objects side by side they can be very different. So yeah im just wondering do you have any special workflows/tips or do you just not take note of it untill before/after export?

It depends on what you're modeling for. If you do a project in a single application for a rendered output only, scale play's no role. But if, for example, you will model for 3D-Printing scale is essential. Also when you use a bunch of apps to get the final thing out and have to switch between them, correct scaling is necessary. The problem is...there is no "scaling standard". Every application has it's own space. In 3DC's Voxel sculpting, the resolution of your model is scale dependant when you import it from an othet app. For example, when I'm importing a mesh from Silo, it is very very very small in 3DC and I have to scale it up for a good voxel resolution...You see it's not easy to answer this question. In general I don't take care of scaling at the beginning of modeling...

Rene

• Like 1

• Contributor

I'm far from expert but my recent experience involved importing 3 objects (part of the same character) into voxels and the first had a popup asking about scale (should it be preserved?). I clicked yes and all 3 were entered in different volumes and had the same relationship as in C4D (which was certainly my desired result). Now I expect to finish my 3DC work and export it back to C4D and find it unaltered in scale.

• Advanced Member

I'm far from expert but my recent experience involved importing 3 objects (part of the same character) into voxels and the first had a popup asking about scale (should it be preserved?). I clicked yes and all 3 were entered in different volumes and had the same relationship as in C4D (which was certainly my desired result). Now I expect to finish my 3DC work and export it back to C4D and find it unaltered in scale.

Mmmh, which popup is asking for scale when you import a model in voxel room? Did you merge it into voxels?

Be aware - there are a vew ways of importing models into 3DC. Maybe you have imported them for per pixel paint, then scale will be preserved...

I learned on LightWave and that's what I use. LW uses real-world scale, be it metric or the imperial system. When I was in school they really drilled it into our heads to always model everything to scale. So if I make a house and the door is 8 feet tall I know my 6 foot tall character will be able to walk through it.

• Contributor

The "Import for" didn't appear to be what I needed (I was in voxels), I used the "Merge Object" tool which gave me the folder for file selection. I see in the tool tip that it is for "additional" objects but I thought this a mere symantic quibble. All's well that ends well. :)

• Advanced Member

Ah ok so most seem to be importing from other apps and using this as the scale basis. So far i have been making things directly in 3DC but it seems like a good idea to import a external model then from a app that i would render in and compare using this. Thanks for the info everyone :)