3DCoat Forums

Score and Fold

• Advanced Member

Like most of us here I get so excited by what's possible with voxels .

One feature I would love is to take a voxel plane / flattened shape etc and be able to fold it over a scored line - much like folding paper or sheet metal.

I envisage it as such - mark/score a fold , select the side to be folded and then fold it over at the marked pivot line.

• Advanced Member

Like most of us here I get so excited by what's possible with voxels .

One feature I would love is to take a voxel plane / flattened shape etc and be able to fold it over a scored line - much like folding paper or sheet metal.

I envisage it as such - mark/score a fold , select the side to be folded and then fold it over at the marked pivot line.

Can you describe a little more what the effect you're trying to achieve?

perhaps it could be done with a cloth simulation (and a corner of a cube or a small cylinder... of course, that would be for a thin (single surface) object I think, then you export to retopo room, then merge -> pick mesh from retopo, check merge as skin, give it a thickness and boom.

just another thought, but maybe I misunderstand your purpose.

• Advanced Member

Hhmmmnn...Let's see, you use the logo tool to get the plane and pick a brush you like and do a control Shift LMB to make the score and then you use the Pose tool to highlight one side and rotate. I bet it would work. :)

Thanks Tony, I had been trying this approach out but found it unsuitable on all but the most basic of initial folds.

I don't however deny that this could be down to my own lack of finesse with the tricksy pose tool :-)

• Advanced Member

Can you describe a little more what the effect you're trying to achieve?

perhaps it could be done with a cloth simulation (and a corner of a cube or a small cylinder... of course, that would be for a thin (single surface) object I think, then you export to retopo room, then merge -> pick mesh from retopo, check merge as skin, give it a thickness and boom.

just another thought, but maybe I misunderstand your purpose.

Many thanks Cakeller for your suggestions.

I've attached this sculpture by Picasso to illuminate the working effect I'm after - in particular the folds/scores translating over the form and the sharpness of the fold.

Whilst I feel that I could achieve the slower bends of the image example attached using the pose tool I would like a simplified method of scoring and folding to create the sharper effects.

I suppose what I'm looking for is that intuitive response to modifying the forms I'm working on in a similar way to how an artist using a sheet of metal would be able too.

post-2166-12580258846219_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

I've attached this sculpture by Picasso to illuminate the working effect I'm after - in particular the folds/scores translating over the form and the sharpness of the fold.

Whilst I feel that I could achieve the slower bends of the image example attached using the pose tool I would like a simplified method of scoring and folding to create the sharper effects.

I suppose what I'm looking for is that intuitive response to modifying the forms I'm working on in a similar way to how an artist using a sheet of metal would be able too.

Perhaps you could devide the job into simple objects with simple folds that could be done without damaging other parts (in other volumes). I don't see anyway of doing what you want without deviding the job.

• Advanced Member

it almost looks like you are talking about sheet-metal type bends...

• Advanced Member

Perhaps you could devide the job into simple objects with simple folds that could be done without damaging other parts (in other volumes). I don't see anyway of doing what you want without deviding the job.

Thanks Tony, yes I agree the process would have to be simplified as things stand at the moment.

• Advanced Member

Yes - that's exactly the kind of effect I'm after i.e being able to fold shapes across score lines like origami.

well... I'm not really sure voxels are the way to go here, but you can TOTALLY get that effect by using the retopo room, and doing big shapes. then you merge in voxels, and use the "pick from retopo" and use "merge as skin"... it's not the same workflow as starting with a flat object, but it would give you the look you want.

and actually if you draw your corner/edges, using the curve tool... it's REALLY easy to make the polygons in retopo, just have them span these edges, which, in effect, are your score lines.

draw skeleton, in retopo room build mesh to span the skeleton, then proceed as I said, in the voxel room.