3DCoat Forums

displacement question - Modo specific

jbshorty

Hi. After playing around for a few days, I have decided to buy this program. But I have a question about displacement map export, which can not be tested in the demo. I see the Pro version can export 32-bit floating displacement. I plan to use this for rendering in Modo, which also uses 32-bit maps. Has anybody tested this from 3DBrush to Modo?

I see it has been tested on Carrara 6 and XSI. I assume it should work fine on Modo also?

thanks,

S H :brush: R T Y

Hi jbshorty.

As a new user of Modo and 3dBrush I am trying to get a displacement map from 3dBrush and use it in Modo.

You seem to have accomplished this.

Could you 'walk me through' how you did this?

Cheers

Mal

Hi. One thing you have to remember is that Modo uses subdivided UV's by default, but 3D Brush (and most other programs) do not have this feature. So if you import the displacement map from 3DB then you must set the UV's to "linear" for that mesh in Modo. This can be found in the item properties for that selected mesh... For the export method to Modo, goes something like this:

1) in 3DBrush, export your depth (displacement) map and choose the 16-bit option.

2) in Modo, your mesh item should have a material assigned first

3) in that material, add a new layer of "Image Map" and load your displacement map

4) Then switch the image function to displacement

5) Select the base material layer and then adjust the displacement distance

I'm pretty sure Modo can use 32-bit displacement, but when i tried to use that type of map the reults were pretty crazy :blink:

S H :brush: R T Y

It is good that you have told about "linear" option. I have understood what is it. It is really important option. I will do something like this in 3DB.

to mal: to export 16 bit displacement you should use at least 3-Brush 2.01F (2.00 does not supports 16 bit disp)

Modo increases UV smoothing as subd levels of the mesh are increased. And i suspect that 3DBrush tesselates the mesh in a bit different way than Modo handles mesh smoothing. So it might be wasted effort if there is no way to match the 2 UV sets exactly... In Modo, it is possible to bake the texture from a mesh with linear UV's onto another mesh with the smoothed UV's. So Modo already has tools to fix this problem...

shorty