3DCoat Forums

Linux fatal error

• 2 weeks later...

This looks exactly like the problem I posted here a while ago: http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4637

Good for me: you don't use Kubuntu, so the number of affected platforms seems to have increased by one for now ... maybe this makes it easier to nail that bug down, finally.

I would still be very glad for a fix as well - in fact I had no further use for 3DC since I reported the problem, because I can't import anything, and just switching the OS is no option at this point ... a very unsatisfying situation. :(

Hello Flytronik! Thanks for your participation. I was messing around with openSUSE 11.2 (64 bit) and 3d-coat for several days. As you may know, the NVIDIA driver isn’t integrated into openSUSE because of license. There are two ways to get NVIDIA driver: through repository or with manual compile. The last option strictly requires the same header files and libraries which were used during kernel compilation (http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA/The_hard_way). So within “YaST->Software>Software Repositories->Add” I added repository “http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.2/” . Then launched “YaST->Software->Software Management”. The driver “x11-video-nvidiaG02” for my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 was automatically selected, as well as new kernel file. After installing no issues with 3d-coat were discovered (see attached screenshots for microvertex mode, per pixel painting, reference mesh option, and voxel sculpting with manipulators). Such issues with 3d-coat under Linux have been reported several times on this forum, but after installing Linux version specified by the user we were unable to reproduce the glitches. Therefore I think that such cases are related to improper video driver operation (maybe with such trivial things like vertex attributes input from vertex buffer within vertex shader). Please try to use specified repository to get driver.

post-848-12685850452472_thumb.jpg post-848-12685850460072_thumb.jpg post-848-12685850466709_thumb.jpg post-848-12685850471914_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hello SERGYI, i work 15 years with Linux an the last NVIDIA Driver is install. I upload a Video then you can see.

http://www.flytronik.de/video/out.ogv

EDIT: I have now a GTS 250

8GB Ram

12 GB Swap

AMD X4 9950

OpenSuSe 11.2 64 bit

I have test fedora 13, Kubuntu 10.04 and Mandriva 2010.1 the same problem.

Houdini, Maya and Blender works fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, Linux users! Thanks to Flytronik, several days ago we fixed old and critical bug – on some Linux systems, 3D-Coat had distorted manipulators, distorted models after any import from “obj” files, and crashed from time to time. As it turned out, the problem was because of standard “C” library function “atof” (converts ASCII strings to float values). When system language is other than English, “atof” uses comma instead of point as decimal separator. In every place of 3D-Coat, where “atof” function has been used, under non English Linux systems we get incorrect results when converting strings to floats. The latest version of 3D-Coat on the FTP server should work correctly regardless of system language. So everyone, who has such critical problems on non English Linux systems, please download the latest version of 3D-Coat!