3DCoat Forums

Bat Headed Man

Calabi

• Advanced Member

bramsbathead.jpg

Just looking for any tips and help I can get. Not so much of the form I know on the side view it doesn look right. Does it look ok though?

More so I want to learn how to detail.

Like how high res do I need to go to get good details? I dont like to go above 3 mil(crap pc). But I want to try and get lots of sharp edges around the nose and the ears quite thin and tapered.

• Contributor

Starting to look Nice. Oh BTW Im digging your Nemisis Avatar. By far my most favourite comic book character, Right up there with ABC Warriors the Nemisis spin off. <<Joe Pinapples>> Nice.

Regarding details, Don't try too hard to push things, Form is more important. I see so many here jump up resolutions too fast and get fed up with the performance and Brush cap limitation. I have found that Voxel can be beautiful to work with at lower res. Your current sculpt is not ready to increase IMO your current resolution is sound for some medium details, work those first and if you feel you must increase then do so after.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback LJB.

Nemesis was one of my first proper comics. Going from things like beano to it, was a revelation. Like how half of his weirdness was not from his looks.

Ironically I think I'm the opposite I like 3D Coat because it forces me to stay low res and focus and perfect the forms. I dont want to ruin them or mess up by doing hacked, rubbishy details.

• Advanced Member

I've added some details to the ears and changed the nose a bit.

bramsbathead3.jpg

I'm in the process of adding teeth so I can see it a bit better, what are people's general methods for doing that?

I'm leaning towards drawing it on a piece of geometry a gum stand in, but then I cant adjust each tooth. But then having each tooth as a separate object seems like overkill and a bit difficult to create.

• Contributor

I've added some details to the ears and changed the nose a bit.

bramsbathead3.jpg

I'm in the process of adding teeth so I can see it a bit better, what are people's general methods for doing that?

I'm leaning towards drawing it on a piece of geometry a gum stand in, but then I cant adjust each tooth. But then having each tooth as a separate object seems like overkill and a bit difficult to create.

It's no more difficult then adding a volume before you start each tooth. When they are all correct, relative to each other, combine the volumes in to one. It's a clerical job.

• Advanced Member

It's no more difficult then adding a volume before you start each tooth. When they are all correct, relative to each other, combine the volumes in to one. It's a clerical job.

I didnt think of that way, thanks Tony.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Realised the form is all wrong, but want to try and finish this so I dont have a ton of unfinished stuff.

I'm having trouble with the wrinkles, I've tried the sf.clay and surface pinch method but it doesnt seem to be getting the results I want. I guess another way would be to use the extrude brush, but I'm not sure if that wont end up like a trough in the flesh. When I see others detailed models the wrinkles and folds look like such integral parts of the forms, it doesnt seem to me the way they do it.

I dont suppose anyone has anyone hints for how they do it? And can it be done in approx 2mil tris.

batheadrubwrinkles.jpg

• Contributor

Realised the form is all wrong, but want to try and finish this so I dont have a ton of unfinished stuff.

I'm having trouble with the wrinkles, I've tried the sf.clay and surface pinch method but it doesnt seem to be getting the results I want. I guess another way would be to use the extrude brush, but I'm not sure if that wont end up like a trough in the flesh. When I see others detailed models the wrinkles and folds look like such integral parts of the forms, it doesnt seem to me the way they do it.

I dont suppose anyone has anyone hints for how they do it? And can it be done in approx 2mil tris.

batheadrubwrinkles.jpg

High level wrinkles are going to be difficult at that resolution cos of the nature of Voxels, It would be best to concentrate on the form and large wrinkles, Many of those will lead to better shape, then take the model into the paint room and add your fine detail. Try this though, rather than dig into the mesh you need to work the sides of the wrinkle, Building up the sides will give you better results at lower resolutions.

I am glad you have gone back a few stages on the sculpt, it will only benifit the result.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I've managed to retopo and start the UV.

batheaduvs.jpg

I have a few questions if anyones able or willing.

When I retopo it and am going to use a normal map does it matter where I put the edges. I know that you have to define the silhouette as best as you can but what about the internal edges.

I also had a problem with the ears they stick out, and so I cant get them to conform with the whole mesh without them overlapping, is the cut out the way I did it the way to do them or is their another way?

Is it possible to scale the facial areas, features, so they take up more space of the UVs than the other parts. I saw soft scaling method in another program.

• Contributor

Scaling the parts to fit the UV area is done by selecting the part and using the transform tool that appears when you select. You can also relax the UVs and adjust the prominence of various ares with the Brush tool. ;)

• Advanced Member

@Guiseppe. I think you are right, but in my defence, I didnt have a clue what I was doing and I was just trying to get something to texture.

Thanks for the honest comment. I would appreciate it, if you had an info to get it more correct.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the ref image Guiseppe. I'm still trying to figure out how to terminate edge loops etc, and how to transition from a higher poly area to a lower poly, like with the ear, but I do have a source from the blender forum which should help.

I'll do my best to emulate that poly flow, thanks Guiseppe.

• Advanced Member

I dont suppose anyone knows how I import a uv on to a model. I cant import it on to just a retopod mesh it would appear, and yet when I have mesh in the paint room, it appears to change the model(the checker pattern changes)when import uv, but theres no way of seeing it, there's just kind of a line in the uv preview room which I think may mean its messed up somehow.