3DCoat Forums

3d Mouse would be a great feature

mischaub

Since several weeks I am using a 3d mouse from 3dconnexion with my rhino3d CAD software - this experience hs transformed my life! So please do understand my humble request to be able to use such a mouse with your utterly astonishing software as well

Kind regards from Switzerland

Mischa

Yes, I seriously look at the perspective to support 3d mouse. Several peoples asked me for that. The only problem - I can't buy that device in Ukraine. It is possible to do that support using someone who will test app. But it is no easy way. But really, I want to make 3D mouse support more and more. Do you want to take part in tests using 3D-mouse?

• Advanced Member
Yes, I seriously look at the perspective to support 3d mouse. Several peoples asked me for that. The only problem - I can't buy that device in Ukraine. It is possible to do that support using someone who will test app. But it is no easy way. But really, I want to make 3D mouse support more and more. Do you want to take part in tests using 3D-mouse?

Andrew, I inherited a 3Dconnexion Pilot, which is one of many 3D mouse models. I could help testing if you want. Also, here have been quite a few requests on the Newtek forums for 3D mouse support for Lightwave, so I suspect if you post a request for testing help there, it may get quite a few responses (an maybe some sales too!)

Here's a link to a search for "space mouse" on the Newtek forum that has references:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/search.php?searchid=688109

It's called by many different names so it can get confusing, but most are from:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/index.php

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Soooo great! Will buy it in few days! The 3D-mouse support coming soon!

That is great news! 3DBrush is a perfect application for 3DMouse support.

I am naturally left-handed, but some years ago, my job was at a facility that used Unix workstations and the desks were set up with the optical corded mouse on the right. It was a major effort to reconfigure it, so I started using the mouse right-handed (most of the time I was in the vi editor anyway.)

Anyway, I can easily use my 3DCMouse with my right hand and regular mouse with the left (or graphics pen with the left) which is the way it is intended to be used.

When you link the pan/zoom/rotate to the 3DC controller, maybe you can provide some sensitivity sliders so we can match our systems. I think this ca be doe with the included device software, but it may work better (easier) in 3DBrush.

And I'll be happy to test if you need it.

That is great news! 3DBrush is a perfect application for 3DMouse support.

I am naturally left-handed, but some years ago, my job was at a facility that used Unix workstations and the desks were set up with the optical corded mouse on the right. It was a major effort to reconfigure it, so I started using the mouse right-handed (most of the time I was in the vi editor anyway.)

Anyway, I can easily use my 3DCMouse with my right hand and regular mouse with the left (or graphics pen with the left) which is the way it is intended to be used.

When you link the pan/zoom/rotate to the 3DC controller, maybe you can provide some sensitivity sliders so we can match our systems. I think this ca be doe with the included device software, but it may work better (easier) in 3DBrush.

And I'll be happy to test if you need it.

Yeah, I have it! Maybe today I will upload the version with 3D mouse support!

It is done!

http://www.3d-brush.com/files/3d-brush-2-03-en.exe

3D-Brush can use space mouse not only to navigate but also to change radius/depth/opacity/rotation/focal shift/specular. To enter this new mode press Key 1 (or some other defined in option).

I have Space Mouse until friday, so please write what improvements do you wan as quick as possible.

• Advanced Member

A big thanks, Andrew!

I had only a few minutes to check it but my Space Pilot worked right away -- it even seemed to have a comfortable rotation/pan/zoom rate without changing any parameters!

I see a whole bunch of options on the options panel too. :)

Andrew, you posted this:

Yeah, I have it! Maybe today I will upload the version with 3D mouse support!

Then 5 hours & 37 minutes later you posted this:

It is done!

Had you already started working on adding support prior to the first post, or did you do it all in 5 hours & 37 minutes? Was it easy to add support? I'm just curious because some developers refuse to add support to their software. If it is easy to do, and can be done so quickly, it may be easier to convince the reluctant developers.

Thanks again for adding support, and doing it so quickly.