3DCoat Forums

Quadrangulate non voxel object

kbrilliant

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a Quandrangulate option for object imported in for re-topology. It's available for voxel objects, but not polygon objects.

The only solution I have is to import the object as a voxel, then proceed, but I was hoping to avoid that.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer is "no", but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thank you for any responses.

Ken

• Reputable Contributor

You got me thinking is there a way to to do this.. I did a few test and this is what I can up with...

You will be using the voxel room but just as a loader to quadranqulate for the reference mesh. The main purpose of this way that you will be snapping to the "imported polygon reference model" in the retopo room and not the voxel object.

Method is described below..

Load your reference mesh the normal way into the paint room which can be in the millions of polygons... (the reference mesh is now also in the retopo room which I'm sure you already know.)

Next merge the polygon version into the voxel room with or without subdivision depending upon what you are working on..

Scale the voxel object to the same size as the reference model in the retopo room plus reposition it if necessary to line up with the reference model in the retopo room.

Now quadranqulate the voxel model.

Clear the voxel model from it's layer, just don't hide it.

The quadrangulated mesh will still be in the retopo room.

Merge the retopo layers together if there is more than one. Hold down the shift key to merge.

Snap your quadranqulated mesh to the "polygon reference mesh" in the retopo room.

Use the quadranqulated mesh as a started point for retopoing,uv maps or just a quick way to get a mesh with a uv map to use for static objects...

Bake any normal maps or displacement maps using the bake texture under the Retopo menu after uv mapping if that is what you want.

You will just have to run a few test to see if this might work for what you are trying to do.I can think of several ways that I can use this method for... It is a little extra work to line things up of course and maybe a little cleaning up of the quadranqulated mesh at times. You might request quadranqulating a reference mesh upon import in the feature request section of the forum too...

Edit: If this is the same Ken Brilliant, I have one of your books "Building a Digital Human" It was very detailed training, Thank you... B)

• Reputable Contributor

A picture of a quadranqulation applied to a imported appox 450,000 polygon reference mode in the retopo room using the above method.

Quadranqulation mesh 850 polygons.

Wine bottle just used for testing purposes...

post-518-12757013538567_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Two final pictures...

The quadranqulated mesh imported for per-pixel work.

A normal map baked from the retopo room with the polygon(450,000)reference model using the uv mapped quadranqulated mesh to project the normal map to...

post-518-12757025648445_thumb.jpg

post-518-12757025812332_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a Quandrangulate option for object imported in for re-topology. It's available for voxel objects, but not polygon objects.

The only solution I have is to import the object as a voxel, then proceed, but I was hoping to avoid that.

It's not possible, Ken.

I hear there's a free program called Meshlab that can decimate meshes, not tried it myself yet.