3DCoat Forums

I'd buy this app in a heartbeat if...

bigkahuna

I did just buy it for several reasons ...

- the Demo work showing how well it works with both the main packages I use (Carrara and Lightwave)

- the very responsive manner with which user requests are dealt with on this forum, a nice change from some software developers.

- the abilities of the program (it seems to implement features that others like deep paint 3D and Hexagon's paint feature tried to do, but didn't quite hit the mark)

The one thing I would like to see though is the ability to use it on my desktop and my laptop (as my main software - carrara, lightwave and adobe webdesign CS3) all allow for the fact that we are rarely only working on one PC.

Andy :rolleyes:

Some peoples have written me that they was able to run 3DB on Mac (Intel platform) using Cross Over office. Do you use Mac on Intel platform?

Yes, both of my Macs are Intel machines, I also have VMware Fusion that allows me to run Windows under OS X, unfortunately it's DirectX support is pretty weak, but I'll give it a try.

Update: Well, I gave 3D Brush a try using VMware Fusion and Windows XP on my iMac (Intel Core Duo) and it's a "no-go". I was able to install it, but I think the big issue is RAM. 3D Brush needs at least 700 MB of RAM and if I assign that much to the virtual machine, my iMac slows to a complete stop. If I assign less to the VM, 3D Brush launches but pretty much slows to a complete stop also. My poor iMac only has 1 GB of RAM, so I think you'd need at least 2 GB to even start to do something small in 3D Brush, and even then I'm not sure how the performance would be. This is the first time I've run an app in Fusion that launched but performed this poorly. Usually if the app launches it runs pretty well or it doesn't launch at all, or it launches with limited functionality. 3D Brush pretty much locked up Fusion and my Mac.

I think the only realistic fix is a Mac version. Oh, well, I gave it a try...

• 2 weeks later...

I just gave 2.03 a try on my MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core Duo 2, 2 GB RAM, ATI X1600 graphics) running vmWare Fusion (latest) and Windows XP Pro and had basically the same problems I had with my first attempt: the virtual machine doesn't support "shaders 2" (I think that's what the error message said) and it requires over 700 MB RAM (which is less of a problem since this machine has 2 GB). After launching, it ran extremely slowly and eventually crashed. At least it didn't crash Windows on this machine like it did on my iMac which only has 1 GB of RAM.

• Advanced Member
I just gave 2.03 a try on my MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core Duo 2, 2 GB RAM, ATI X1600 graphics) running vmWare Fusion (latest) and Windows XP Pro and had basically the same problems I had with my first attempt: the virtual machine doesn't support "shaders 2" (I think that's what the error message said) and it requires over 700 MB RAM (which is less of a problem since this machine has 2 GB). After launching, it ran extremely slowly and eventually crashed. At least it didn't crash Windows on this machine like it did on my iMac which only has 1 GB of RAM.

I too would love to see a mac version. But I understand the program would have to be rewritten for open gl. Having said this I did purchase the program and it runs great on my mac but you must boot into windows (you are correct it does not work under Parallels or Fusion). I would suggest using boot camp to boot into windows on your mac. Now, I would have to say this I think there are a lot of mac users that would pay even more for this program. Historically Mac users have been willing to pay premiums for good software just something for the developers to think about. I love the program and I think it is one of the best tools in my toolbox and would pay again for a mac version.

...I would suggest using boot camp to boot into windows on your mac.
Thanks Deadman21, but boot camp is a "no go" here. I had nothing but problems with it and I've found Parallels and Fusion to be much more stable. At this point, no single app is worth rebooting for, just too much hassle and wasted time (I bounce from app to app as I also write code, mix audio and manage a handful of websites in addition to creating 3D stuff).

Would I pay twice the current price for an OS X version? Hard to say without seeing it first, but if it delivers on the features on the website and is stable, I probably would.

• 4 months later...

Yep Im looking forward to a mac build too.

I tried running it on my pc laptop but dont have enough vram. Theres close to half a dozen Unity game engine users here so far, hanging around like drunks in the park, and we'll be making quite a noise about it on the unity forum once the OSX build ships...But hopefully the price increase isnt too hefty, just because apple likes making us pay through the nose, doesnt mean we like it. I just upgraded from my g4 because it fell apart, now I have a $300 Imac with lines down the lcd, Id go back to pc but unfortunately Unity and Cheetah3d are mac only. And yeah 3dcoat is an option because of the price of zbrush

Good luck with it Andrew, Diana, and other developers.

AaronC