3DCoat Forums

zbrush tutorial

philnolan3d

• Contributor

I'm following a zbrush tutorial in 3D-Coat. It's kinda funny, I keep having to wait for the guy to to catch up while he cleans up messy polygons and such.

2010-06-27_0546.png

Gee, Phil, I would have liked to follow your progress! :(

• Advanced Member

Figured out how to make a brush that pushes in and pulls out and that same time.

Yeah! I was trying to work out a way to do this before with an Obj.Pen. Someone was looking for a way to do stitches and thought I had an idea of how to do it. I spent a few hours trying without much success, then got side tracked and forgot about it. From memory, I tried reversing the normal s on some portions of the object.

Well I'm intrigued now, so how is this done, if I may ask?

Just a black and white brush, but you have to do it in Surface mode, it doesn't work on Voxels. Black pushes in while white pulls out. I'll attach the brush I made for the hair, I find with this one it helps to set the falloff to around 40-50% and I turned on Rotate Along Motion Direction in the Pen Options.

Here's a little video of it in action:

http://screencast.com/t/MmRkZmI3Y

push-pull_soft.zip

• Like 1

• Contributor

Nice brush. If you use it with the sf clay it shoots through the other side of your model - like spikes! Works great with draw though. Thanks for sharing it.

Greg

• 2 months later...

It's all about organization. Keep things as low poly as you can for the main part when you need more detail for a part you can cut that part to another layer with the Split tool and increase the res just for that part, the Copy tool can also be used for stuff like this. So this way if I only working on the Hands I can easily hide all of the other layers. I've currently got the whole character split into 18 layers. Another thing you can do is cache all of the layers you're not using with the button used for multi-res. That way you can keep all of the layers visible just with lower quality. The down side is that if you save like that your file is huge.

Here's a current WIP:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3765/ayawip33.jpg