3DCoat Forums

wow

Mr_Nitro

HEllo everybody.

Just wanted to state the awesomeness of 3dcoat.... I've been waiting some 10+ years to be able to 'sculpt' with a damn computer.

Not play with polygons, curves, nurbs. But some real voxel sculpting. I just love voxels. Please don't put it in some 2nd level priority,

voxels are the real new thing...

generic suggestions (maybe it has been said):

.be able to store SRT transformations in a stack, so they can be edited/removed etc.

.add a 'freeze' mode along with the hide mode, so I can paint out the voxel I want to keep untouched. (good to have this 'cluster' infromation in a stack as well).

.add a real lattice object, that stays permenetely in the scene (or until you freeze it ) and its parented to the object.

.have a 'center gitzmo' when you manipulate object, that moves the center in the COG of voxels or selection.

.have a 'cleanup' voxel, that checks for unconnected chunks, or far away chunks of voxels (both have user calibrations).

maybe some of them are already in place... I'm not totally aware of all so far:)

so bear to point it out :)

now back to sculpt!

cheers

mrn

• 4 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

HEllo everybody.

Just wanted to state the awesomeness of 3dcoat.... I've been waiting some 10+ years to be able to 'sculpt' with a damn computer.

Not play with polygons, curves, nurbs. But some real voxel sculpting. I just love voxels. Please don't put it in some 2nd level priority,

voxels are the real new thing...

generic suggestions (maybe it has been said):

.be able to store SRT transformations in a stack, so they can be edited/removed etc.

.add a 'freeze' mode along with the hide mode, so I can paint out the voxel I want to keep untouched. (good to have this 'cluster' infromation in a stack as well).

.add a real lattice object, that stays permenetely in the scene (or until you freeze it ) and its parented to the object.

.have a 'center gitzmo' when you manipulate object, that moves the center in the COG of voxels or selection.

.have a 'cleanup' voxel, that checks for unconnected chunks, or far away chunks of voxels (both have user calibrations).

maybe some of them are already in place... I'm not totally aware of all so far:)

so bear to point it out :)

now back to sculpt!

cheers

mrn

You have a Freeze tool, but it resides in the Surface mode...so whenever I need to use it, I just switch to that mode. I never use hide anymore. It doesn't really do anything functional that I'm aware of, save maybe allow you to get nice hard creases along the area hidden. When you hide in ZB or MB, I believe it dumps the hidden portion from memory, thus allowing better interactivity in the viewport. That's not the case in Voxels. Hiding doesn't save you any memory or give you more FPS.

If you have a recent build, when using the transform tool, you have a checkbox in the tool options panel, "to center mass"...many of us had been asking for that for some time. It got added a few months ago.

You also have the ability to "cleanup" your object by filling any holes before you're done. Right click the layer and choose "fill voids." doing this may actually save you some frustration when using Auto Retopo and baking Normal maps and such. I had an issue with a model once, and could never get AutoRetopo to work with it. Andrew took a look at it and found it had a number of hidden holes that was the cause of the problem. He soon thereafter created this tool to fix that problem.

I agree about the lattice. It's been requested often. I mentioned a possible solution in your other thread, in the feature request section. Andrew listens, but has to prioritize the requests/bugfixes.

• Advanced Member

You have a Freeze tool, but it resides in the Surface mode...so whenever I need to use it, I just switch to that mode. I never use hide anymore. It doesn't really do anything functional that I'm aware of, save maybe allow you to get nice hard creases along the area hidden. When you hide in ZB or MB, I believe it dumps the hidden portion from memory, thus allowing better interactivity in the viewport. That's not the case in Voxels. Hiding doesn't save you any memory or give you more FPS.

If you have a recent build, when using the transform tool, you have a checkbox in the tool options panel, "to center mass"...many of us had been asking for that for some time. It got added a few months ago.

You also have the ability to "cleanup" your object by filling any holes before you're done. Right click the layer and choose "fill holes."

I agree about the lattice. It's been requested often. I mentioned a possible solution in your other thread, in the feature request section. Andrew listens, but has to prioritize the requests/bugfixes.

this reminds me, is there a way to smooth the freeze without having to using the brush? smooth all?