3DCoat Forums

Creating Custom 3DC Brushes

BluesDragon

Is there a tutorial anywhere that guides you through creating new brushes for 3D Coat?

In particular, I need brushes to create rocks and pitted/cratered asteroids. I have decent graphics tools (Photoshop CS3, GIMP) and 3D apps (modo, Hexagon, Bryce, Vue Frontier, etc.).

Cheers,

BD

• Advanced Member

Brush's, or pens as they are in 3D Coat can be made with anything that can write psd. They are structured in 4 layers - color, heightMap, Specular & EraseMask The Color is fairly self explanatory, HeightMap is in gray scale where 50% gray is 0 height, whiter gives more depth from your work and blacker the opposite. Specular should be all white and Erasemask should be all black. Check out the sample pen in the 3DCoat program files folder at Program Files > 3DCoat > Samples > Sample Pen to see the structure.

Also you can make pens in Obj. format too and bmp, png, targa and others which elude me at the moment.

All the best.

Note you can put your newly created pens in the pens folder same path except go to textures > pens instead of samples. I think you can also put Photoshop brush's in there as pens also though they may not have depth.

Brush's, or pens as they are in 3D Coat can be made with anything that can write psd. They are structured in 4 layers - color, heightMap, Specular & EraseMask The Color is fairly self explanatory, HeightMap is in gray scale where 50% gray is 0 height, whiter gives more depth from your work and blacker the opposite. Specular should be all white and Erasemask should be all black. Check out the sample pen in the 3DCoat program files folder at Program Files > 3DCoat > Samples > Sample Pen to see the structure.

Also you can make pens in Obj. format too and bmp, png, targa and others which elude me at the moment.

All the best.

Note you can put your newly created pens in the pens folder same path except go to textures > pens instead of samples. I think you can also put Photoshop brush's in there as pens also though they may not have depth.

That is exactly what I needed to know, thank you very much.

The OBJ pens. Do they just go in the brushes folder also? How are they setup? I have a lot of 3D models and access to a ton more and that would be extremely nice to be able to do.

• Reputable Contributor

That is exactly what I needed to know, thank you very much.

The OBJ pens. Do they just go in the brushes folder also? How are they setup? I have a lot of 3D models and access to a ton more and that would be extremely nice to be able to do.

There is also a section in this forum called "3DC Exchange Library" where you can download over 500mb's of Photoshop brushes (which need no conversion....3DC reads them natively)...there are boatloads of textures to download...which you will want to use as your stencil many times.

In the "Pens" panel, you can click on the little folder icon and find the OBJpens folder if it's not there already. From there you would likely want to just pull up one OBJ at a time....as you use them. Because you can manipulate it's angle position, scale, etc....based on what you want at the time. You could copy all those obj models you have to that folder or just navigate to where they are located and select them. Same thing goes for wherever your Photoshop brushes are located. You can see the OBJpens in use here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fugazi3D#p/u/18/StMgG5vdZ6g

There is also a section in this forum called "3DC Exchange Library" where you can download over 500mb's of Photoshop brushes (which need no conversion....3DC reads them natively)...there are boatloads of textures to download...which you will want to use as your stencil many times.

In the "Pens" panel, you can click on the little folder icon and find the OBJpens folder if it's not there already. From there you would likely want to just pull up one OBJ at a time....as you use them. Because you can manipulate it's angle position, scale, etc....based on what you want at the time. You could copy all those obj models you have to that folder or just navigate to where they are located and select them. Same thing goes for wherever your Photoshop brushes are located. You can see the OBJpens in use here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fugazi3D#p/u/18/StMgG5vdZ6g

Y'all have been spot on with info and getting me pointed in the right direction.

THANKS !

Cheers,

BD

• Advanced Member

if you want to use wings, blender etc to make a OBJ objects to use with the merge tool, name any meshes you export into the .obj file _negative and they become subtractive. similiar to what you see in the default merge obj's like turbine, plate_2 etc.