3DCoat Forums
philnolan3d

Aya - Female character

Well sometimes Points & Faces, Sometimes Strokes, sometimes Quads. it doesn't really matter how the retopo gets made, just as long as it gets there.

For example right now I'm working on these bullets. I made the bullet in LightWave and then loaded it into the merge tool with the "On Pen" option. So now I need a strap that goes across them. Here's the retopo, in this case made with Quads and then Split Rings around the edges.

2010-09-08_0206.png

I gave it a little Additional Extrusion too. Back in the Voxels room I picked the Cloth tool and hit Pick From Retopo. Hit the Subdivide button a few times and I have this:

2010-09-08_0213.png

Press Enter and I'm done with that part:

2010-09-08_0219.png

Render:

2010-09-08_0223.png

The zipper started as an object in LightWave:

2010-09-08_0226.png

I used the Copy tool to copy the zipper area to a higher res layer so I didn't have to increase res on the entire body. Then dug a "trench" for the zipper to go in with the Curve tool.

2010-09-08_0229.png

The teeth object from earlier was placed in this folder:

C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3\VoxStamps\Splines

Now it can be used as a Curve:

2010-09-08_0233.png

I don't remember the exact rules for making Curve objects so there was a lot of trial and error to get the scale of it right.

The zipper started as an object in LightWave:

2010-09-08_0226.png

I used the Copy tool to copy the zipper area to a higher res layer so I didn't have to increase res on the entire body. Then dug a "trench" for the zipper to go in with the Curve tool.

2010-09-08_0229.png

The teeth object from earlier was placed in this folder:

C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3\VoxStamps\Splines

Now it can be used as a Curve:

2010-09-08_0233.png

I don't remember the exact rules for making Curve objects so there was a lot of trial and error to get the scale of it right.

Egad, Phil, I see this as a major workflow innovation (apologies to those for whom this is not also a revelation). It certainly tops the list of "Phil Nolan tips". Thanks! :yahoo:

nope, i`d say that you`ve started with details and accessories too early, there are still a lot of places to improve(i not mean to make them absolutely perfect) the arms are the most distracting, especialy palms and fingers. :clapping: Start to study and sculpt anatomical correct models, its like a spring the further you pull with it - the harder it will smash you back later... :rolleyes: actually will smash if you care of course about doing the good job.

humm accessories looking not bad in some places :good:

Nice detailing over a failed anatomy and you can't say it's because you followed the concept, the concept is believable, your character is alien. Rince and repeat, a shame.

i think you can get away with anything except face on this one.

Thats what i meant when I wrote it needed much love (you answered that you waited for higher res to add details on face)

But I wasnt talking about details i was talking about general shape...especially lips area. :)

I suggest looking back at your concept and try through various small 20min sessions to achieve that look .

Right now she looks like she has a bad generic face from Poser.

That makes her look 40yrs old instead of 20-30.

IMHO I think if you save the face the whole character is gonna look much better.

Accessories and folds really stand out tough. :good:

Thank you, I'm working on the face a little now actually. I downloaded a bunch of reference of early 80's era Connie Sellecca to use as reference.

The jaw area looks like the most off to me. It should angle upwards at the back(and probably come up a bit more, womens, faces are close to a square/circle, mens are more rectangular/angular.

I changed up the head some. Started with reference of Connie Sellecca but that was a little too strong so I looked at some reference of Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII.

http://bit.ly/9o1elo

Here is a good reference i use for female face.Its a little stylized but it looks like a woman.

Its already 3d so i find it easier to understand changes to apply than when using a photographic reference.

I suggest Trying really more extreme tweak/changes on lips and cheekbones/eyes area in like 10 different small 20min sessions...and then you pick the one that is closest to your concept.

Its very hard to acheive for us who arent artist (by that I mean that you are probably like me:if we were given 4 hours to draw on paper with a pencil somebody we know(father,sister)even with having them in front of us the whole time,the drawing would not even remotely look like the person.)

After much fussing with UV maps and such I'm finally 100% happy with my low res model and ready to start texturing.

ayawip38.jpg

This might seem like too old of a post to continue, but I have found a set of tutorials that will help us with this subject. http://www.alienthink.com/

This Structure of Man series has been used by many art houses and artists to learn and improve their ability to draw. But, it is amazing how it helps to better learn the anatomy for goals such as Phil's here. If you're serious about even stylistic characters, this series (if you follow it and devote yourself to it) will change you for the better. I believe in it that much.

i like it, its pretty good, sometimes being a perfectionist isnt the right thing to do, you can end up going backwards... as it is, i like it.