3DCoat Forums

Suggestions and a bug or two

philnolan3d

I spent a good few hours with 3D Brush today UV mapping an old character from scratch. I found a few things that I think would make it even better.

UV seams currently are created with RMB removed with Ctrl+RMB while LMB does nothing. Seems to me that it would make more sense to use LMB to remove them

It would be a lot easier to remove a whole line of accidentally created seams if you could just drag across them instead of having to click each one.

It would be a lot easier to add / remove seams if you could see the wireframe, or at least make the model flat shaded with no lighting / spec.

I can never figure out what point the camera is spinning around. It would be nice to center a point on the screen and spin around that. Or at least have it spin around the center of the screen.

Minor bugs:

If you use symmetry while editing seams it's not perfectly accurate. For example I finished one leg of my character, then looked at the other leg and some of the seam lines were slightly out of place.

Also the "UV Store" button does not remember the last folder used.

When you're dragging the camera to move/zoom/rotate... When the mouse reaches edge of screen RMB locks on. You have to click to let go. One option could be to have the mouse pointer disappear while navigating, this is what LightWave does.

UV seams currently are created with RMB removed with Ctrl+RMB while LMB does nothing. Seems to me that it would make more sense to use LMB to remove them

It seems that LMB sets seams and CTRL+LMB clears seams. But anyway it is really good to set other mouse button to clear seam

It would be a lot easier to remove a whole line of accidentally created seams if you could just drag across them instead of having to click each one.

You are right, will do that

It would be a lot easier to add / remove seams if you could see the wireframe, or at least make the model flat shaded with no lighting / spec.

ok, may be will add light wireframe

I can never figure out what point the camera is spinning around. It would be nice to center a point on the screen and spin around that. Or at least have it spin around the center of the screen.

I plan to add hotkey to point pivot. Now it is rotated in relation to last draw point.

If you use symmetry while editing seams it's not perfectly accurate. For example I finished one leg of my character, then looked at the other leg and some of the seam lines were slightly out of place.

ok, will check it

Also the "UV Store" button does not remember the last folder used.

usually every tool stores it's presets to the folder specific to that tool.

When you're dragging the camera to move/zoom/rotate... When the mouse reaches edge of screen RMB locks on. You have to click to let go. One option could be to have the mouse pointer disappear while navigating, this is what LightWave does.

Does it occurs when you are using navigation icons? Or in ALT+*MB mode? I still have not understand how to reproduce it.

• Advanced Member

I've got 3 other suggestions :

On the attached pic, On the light green cluster, you can hardly see the selected seam. Maybe you should change the cluster color scheme.

could you add a checker texture when you're in UV edit mode to see the texture distortion ?

Could you add a function to set the center of rotation of the camera, on the last selected seam, (or the last stroke stroke) automatically, or by pressing a key.

post-476-1199529333_thumb.jpg

Does it occurs when you are using navigation icons? Or in ALT+*MB mode? I still have not understand how to reproduce it.

You're right, I don't usually use Alt+*MB in Lightwave, I use the navi icons. In 3DB It does not happen with the icons, only with the Alt key. For example start with the mouse somewhere in the middle of the screen and hold Alt. Now click/drag all the way to the left side of the screen and let go of the mouse (but keep holding Alt) Now the screen continues to move even though you're not touching the mouse button.

Interesting addition to this I just noticed. I loaded up the cube object for testing, with a brush tool active, and did this:

Drag RMB the the edge of the screen

Let Go

Move mouse back into the screen

Now the brush is drawing all over your object even though you're not pushing any buttons at all.

Oh I see. My 3DB is not in full screen mode, I just stretch it out to fill the screen (I like to see Vista's Aero-glass). So all of this only happens in Window mode.