3DCoat Forums

3.5.00 - Sync Layers with external Editor BUG

• Advanced Member

As the topic suggests I'm still experiencing this bug with the latest 3.5 release.

I really do wish Andrew would iron out all of the stupid annoying little bugs. Loads of legacy bugs and errors seem to continuously creep back in somehow.

The most annoying thing about this bug is that there is also NO way to copy what is in the specular channel over to the color channels.

I really wish the Painting system behaved more like it does in Photoshop in that you can select parts of the texture and just merely hit ctrl + c to copy, ctrl + v to paste.

If Specularity channel behaved more like the Color channels then it would be more consistent and instantly understandable. Why is there a Specularity Slider instead of a color picker for instance?

As the topic suggests I'm still experiencing this bug with the latest 3.5 release.

I really do wish Andrew would iron out all of the stupid annoying little bugs. Loads of legacy bugs and errors seem to continuously creep back in somehow.

The most annoying thing about this bug is that there is also NO way to copy what is in the specular channel over to the color channels.

I really wish the Painting system behaved more like it does in Photoshop in that you can select parts of the texture and just merely hit ctrl + c to copy, ctrl + v to paste.

If Specularity channel behaved more like the Color channels then it would be more consistent and instantly understandable. Why is there a Specularity Slider instead of a color picker for instance?

Will it solve the problem if I will make new item in menu Layers->Convert channels. Dialog will appear that have parematers:

Source layer [one of layers]

Source channel [color, R, G, B, Alpha, Specular, Depth]

Destination layer [one of layers]

Destination channel [color, R, G, B, Alpha, Specular, Depth]

Operation [replace, add, subtract, multiply]

If it will solve, I will do the dialog, it is not hard.

Also please describe in details how to repopotuce photoshop interaction bug (or give link if it was discussed before)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I made Copy channels item in Layers menu. I hope is solves channels problem.

Hi Andrew sorry for going AWOL and not replying to your initial answer but thanks for responding. The addition of 'Copy Channels' would help in this instance but...

This is where I feel that 3DC suffers from having too many specific 'functions' dedicated to a very specific task. I think that there is no need for a dialogue box to pop up for this task. If you exposed the different channels to us like Photoshop it would give us more flexibility for what we need to do. For instance; with the current method, how can we copy and paste just small selections or parts of the texture. This is how it works in Photoshop and how it would be beneficial to 3DC workflow:

1. Expose Channels to us so we can select RGB, R ,G, B or any combination
  2. Select a layer to copy (hit Ctrl + C = Copy selected Layer(s), Ctrl + Shift + C = Copy visible Pixels
  3. Select Layer to paste to
  4. Ctrl + V to paste from clipboard

The channel toggle Icons could be used to determine which channels are being copied & pasted to.

copy_paste.jpg

This modular way of using functions is better for an app in the long run I think . This is my personal opinion and others may disagree so I hope others chip in with their thoughts.