3DCoat Forums

projection painting issues

b33nine

• Advanced Member

I don't know if this should be submitted as a bug or not, but if it should I hope a moderator will move it to the correct location.

I've been running into a LOT of artifacting when trying to use the projection painting, and I'm wanting to know if there is a decent way to avoid that? It's too the point where I'm only going to bother using 3dcoat for fixing seams because I can't get any kind of consistency from the projection. I also get jagged aliased lines on the edges of anything that has transparency when exporting back to 3dcoat.

Another issue I've had is when I export back to 3dcoat from projection painting, the whole rest of the model is wiped clean except for what was visible in photoshop. I think I discovered how to avoid it, but it would be nice if there were some kind of guidelines for how to best utilize the projection painting.

I LOVE being able to projection paint on a texture map that is high rez, but it's giving me so many headaches right now that I am afraid to kick the image back over to 3dcoat to see what new surprises it will have for me.

I'm using 3.5 64 CUDA (and tried non CUDA too) fwiw

• Advanced Member

Not sure what kind of issues you're having (a screenshot, plus system specs and DX or GL would probably be

helpful for Andrew) ... but I just did a quick test with v3.5 64-bit CUDA DX and got the issues in the image

below.

Something funky is definitely going on for me too....

(P.S. anytime I have transparency via alpha masking, I have always had to apply the

layer mask before saving back to 3DC --- not sure how you're working with yours)

post-475-12854786366213_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I've tried it on the most recent 3dcoat, cuda and non-cuda, dx and gl, and even a 3.1 build that is floating around on my computer for some reason and they all give me the same problems. I can't seem to replicate the problems effectively, as sometimes it will work perfectly and sometimes it will give me something totally unuseable. Using vista 64 with a quad 6700 and a gtx 280 with 8gb ram.

I hesitate to flatten down my layers because I'll get a random line out of nowhere and once it's flattened I can't just get rid of that part.

Attaching an image of the aliasing with the subtle white line it seems to add when using transparencies.

post-2104-1285529363637_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I think that line is part of the specularity. I have noticed in the past that the spec seems to extend slightly further out than the color when they are painted at the same time. Perhaps I am wrong.

I've got specularity turned off. Even if it were specularity, shouldn't I be able to get it to dissapear when I remove specularity from the layer? It definitely exports in the diff map with the white aliased outlines.

• Advanced Member

updating this with images of one of the other problems projection is giving me. The top is what was in photoshop, the bottom is what is happening in 3dcoat. This particular part of the textures hadn't been touched for awhile and it was even on a layer I didn't make any changes to so I have no idea why I'm getting these results. Any chance for a word from anyone why this might be happening?

post-2104-12858200484426_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

that looks pretty nasty...I'd say send in the model and texture to Andrew if you can. My guess would be your

drivers are messing with you. Dunno if you can roll back a few versions to see (or update

to the latest if you've not got it). And maybe tell him which Photoshop version, but I've never had that

happen with CS2, CS4, or CS5.

Also, maybe let him know if you're using per-pixel, or micro-vertex when it happens.

Hope you get it resolved.