3DCoat Forums

Hey and very nooob Q

richdj

Hey, I'm a new 3DC user. For those LWers around, I'm the same richdj on spinquad and newtek forums.

Still finding my way around 3DC, but loving it's ease of use and the tools. So for the noob question. Is there a way of increasing / decreasing the subdivisions as you go?

Cheers

Rich

• Reputable Contributor

Hey, I'm a new 3DC user. For those LWers around, I'm the same richdj on spinquad and newtek forums.

Still finding my way around 3DC, but loving it's ease of use and the tools. So for the noob question. Is there a way of increasing / decreasing the subdivisions as you go?

Cheers

Rich

Hey Rich, welcome aboard...yeah the Lightwave community helped get 3D Coat rolling in the early days, as Larry Shultz (Splinegod) brought it to everyone's attention when almost nobody had ever heard of it. It has come a loooooooooooooooooooong way since then. Andrew did a lot of Multi-threading work in the Voxel Room this summer and it has taken sculpting in 3DC to the doorstep of ZBrush and Mudbox, in many respects. However, to get the most out of Voxels, you'll want to get as much RAM as you can afford, as it is accounting for volumetric data, not just points/vertices in space. Volume mode is best used to construct your model to a medium res level and then Surface mode is where you want to do your high level detailing. It ignores volume data and only displaces the surface...emulating polygonal sculpting.

With more than 8GB's, you should be able to get ZB and MB levels of detail, or you can just get to a medium-high level and then do the uber-high detail with image-based sculpting (Micro-Vertex= live Displacment painting, Per Pixel & Ptex= live Normal Map painting).

And to answer your question, Andrew implemented Multi-Resolution this summer as well...but it works a bit differently than in ZB or MB. Here's a better explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pilgway#p/u/4/bMyLRVlHeUU

http://www.youtube.com/user/javisjones#p/u/0/sasaZRqKVlo