3DCoat Forums

Retopology extrude tool

Ruchir

Does an extrude tool already exist? If not, would it be hard to implement?

I'm thinking of a retopo tool which takes an edge loop allows you to extrude it against the underlying reference mesh. This would be useful for conforming to eyes or similar protrusions or intrusions. Just a thought?

• Reputable Contributor

Does an extrude tool already exist? If not, would it be hard to implement?

I'm thinking of a retopo tool which takes an edge loop allows you to extrude it against the underlying reference mesh. This would be useful for conforming to eyes or similar protrusions or intrusions. Just a thought?

+1. I've been meaning to ask for this for some time now. It would come in handy quite often. Been having to make such "Insets" Manually one cut at a time when extrude/inset has been a standard use tool in 3D applications for over a decade.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Actually, you have both an "Extrude" (Edges) tool and a "Bevel" tool which works like Max's Inset tool or Maya's Extrude tool. I just stumbled upon it recently, and was glad I found it. It's a bit hidden though. If you are in the Selection tool and Edges mode, you will see the tools at the bottom of the tool pallet.

• Reputable Contributor

Ok thats indeed quite hidden - I never used the select tool because its quite cumbersome and not really intuitive.

Now if we had some better selection tools.... ;)

I agree...I've been trying for a long time to get Andrew to implement a "Dot Ring/Loop" and "Grow Ring/Loop" selection, that are available in 3ds Max. Dot ring lets you take two adjacent selected loops and in one click select half of your model. You could then hit DELETE and effectively reduce your model in half. That's just a matter of 3-4 clicks. Compare that to trying to clean up a dense Autopo result, currently.

• 2 weeks later...