3DCoat Forums

Paint it black

jimiclay

A big thanks to all you guys that offer so much help with 3D Coat. I was so intimidated by the program that I put off trying to learn it, and I'm so sorry that I did that. I've had more fun with this thing in just the last few hours! :yahoo: Here is my first sculpture in 3DC, and it took me some time to do it, but man was it alot of fun. (Did I say I was having fun? :mellow: ) But here's the thing. I did my retopo, and this is what showed up in the paint room. I've done some painting in the paint room, and it never looked like this. What did I do wrong?

post-607-12936748193871_thumb.jpg

Hi Jimiclay!

Cool sculpture! When you exported to the paint room, was/were the voxel layer(s) hidden? That has caused a black texture in the paint room for me!

Welcome!

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

Hey Eric,

As far as I can tell, the voxel layers were not hidden, but I did have a portion of the model hidden at the bottom. Maybe I'm agreeing with you and I just don't know it :drinks: I think I'll unhide the bottom of the skirt and try again. and thanks

Hey Eric,

As far as I can tell, the voxel layers were not hidden, but I did have a portion of the model hidden at the bottom. Maybe I'm agreeing with you and I just don't know it :drinks: I think I'll unhide the bottom of the skirt and try again. and thanks

Eric,

I unhid the part of the model that was hidden, and redid the rotopo process again, and I got the same results. The black model is still there in the paint room. :( At this point, I'm really tired. It's late here, and Ive been working since 5 am. Gonna start fresh tomorrow. Hope to hear from you then. good nite :good:

Hey Jimiclay,

I always hate suggesting such simple stuff because I don't want to offend anyone, but I get caught by the simple stuff so often...:)

Say, I just noticed that there looks like some freeze is on that sculpt. Is the voxel layer set to surface? You might want to convert it back to voxel if so. I've never Merged for PPP with the voxel layer set to surface before, so I don't know if that is it.

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

freeze?? I don't know what that is. What I did was spray the area that was supposed to have a denser mesh, because of the details. That is what I did do. As far as the surface setting is concerned. I didn't have that on during the first two attempts at auto retop. What I did do however is lower the res on the sculpture. It seems to be working some, but geeeeez its still very slow. I'm on a quad core Intel 2.3GHz machine with 8 gigs of ram, so I don't think its the processor or the memory that's causing the slow down, but I would like to know what might be doing this to me cause I can't work like this.

post-607-12937272081376_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Do me a 'favor' lol, Just create a new vox layer with same density and clone the mesh there. Fill voids. Delete or hide the old one. You dont need to retopo again and again. The old retopo is enough. If all these don't help then report it as a bug. Lot of weird things happened to me but never this.

That's odd. What are your visible triangles, and what is your graphics card?

I got a slowdown on my iMac with 8 million visible triangles when retopo'ing the Jedidiah model. My iMac has an ATI card and the box has 4 gigs of RAM. Here is what is odd, though, my laptop only has 2 gigs of ram, but has an nVidia card which seems to cooperate with 3D Coat a lot better. I can work with the model AND capture screen with NO slowdown on my laptop, despite it being slower and having less RAM. Weird!

I hope this helps!

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

Couple of thoughts, sorry if they were already mentioned and I missed it. First I see Occlusion was baked, some times if something goes wrong with the occlusion it can take a loooong time and come out solid black. If you hide the occlusion layer does it look normal? The other thought was the lights, are they turned all the way down?

Well I can't speak to the matter of the occlusion layer being a problem, one way or the other. What I'm wondering about, what I'm not at all sure about is the lights. What I mean is, how do you set up the lights when you bake the maps in the first place? I don't know if it makes a difference, but I suspect it does, and if so, what kind of setup is best? The lights are on, but I don't know if they're too high or too low. These are the details that just don't get mentioned, so its all trial and error for me.

I don't think it makes any difference for baking. But if the lights are turned all way down the model might look very dark or black.

OK I just tested and turning the lights all the way down will not make it black, just very dark.

http://screencast.com/t/BnvPfPnrNHkZ

I personally like to have the Ambient light at 0 and the main light at 68. It's just personal preference though, AFAIK it has no affect on baking.

Just hide the Occlusion Layer and see if that solves it, if so you know it's something with the Occlusion baking.

• Advanced Member
I don't think it makes any difference for baking. But if the lights are turned all way down the model might look very dark or black.

@Phil: Do you know that there's an issue with lighting and baking on mac builds? I think Andrew fixed this but I stil turn lights down when baking. And turn them on when starting painting, of course. But this here isn't the case. Doesn't look like.