3DCoat Forums

[Bug] Import textures and materials to paint with ?

Mykyl

• Advanced Member

Hi, I noticed there was a bunch of textures in the extras directory in 3d coat and tried to import them into the material tab but they don't show up. Nothing happens at all. (This is on the latest beta for mac.) Also is there somewhere I can just import plain textures into 3dcoat to paint with? So far I have found no way to do that. I am not that bothered about doing depth and colour etc all in one pass so i am confused as to how to do it. A bit frustrating when I have thousands of textures I have purchased over the years but cant find a way to get them into 3d coat to actually use. Would be nice if I could just import an entire folder of textures to work with.

I am sure it is something I am not understanding but I really would like to try out the texture painting side of things in 3d coat now as more and more I am finding it much more usable in my own work flow.

Cheers

Mike R

How are you importing them? Clicking the + icon in the Materials panel should bring up a pop up for loading color / depth / spec.

You can load a folder by clicking the little triangle in the corner of the palette and picking Add Existing Folder.

2011-01-01_1110.png

• Advanced Member

I was trying that with the add existing folder and nothing happens. No new folder listed or any new textures. I guess its a bug in the latest version of 3dcoat on mac.

Oh and sorry for not noticing the reply before now.

Cheers

Mike R

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I tried that but all I get is a tiny window in the center of the screen with the word Canc in it. I click it and it disappears.

Must be a mac version issue.

Thanks for trying though.

Cheers

Mike R

Sounds like a good time to delete the options.xml file...seems to cure a lot of little quirks like this. When you click the little "+" icon in the materials pallet, you can point to images and it will load them individually. I'm not sure if 3DC stores all the brushes and materials within your pallet in RAM or if it just stores a thumbnail (creates a link to your HD). But I generally never load a whole folder in the pallet.

• Advanced Member

I cleared the options.xml files and no difference. Only thing that did happen is when I tried to resize the 3dcoat window it crashed my whole computer with a kernel panic. (Tried again and the machine froze again trying to resize the window.)

Mike R

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] Import textures and materials to paint with ?