3DCoat Forums

getting triangles instead of quads

i am new here, evaluation software before i buy it. so i am trying to retopology some high poly models and hopefully get lower poly model

with clean mesh. this is what i tried: i exported the highpoly mesh from max (2011) to obj file. then i imported it into 3d coad. used the retopology

wizard to get the initial model. it works fine, it produces clean mesh. then i tried to export it back to max via obj files. when i imported the obj

file into max it was triangulated, no quads there. so that makes my model unusable. is that normal behaviour or i am doing something wrong. there is

no much information about it, so i guess that it is not common.

anybody have soem ideas about this?

Where did you exported the mesh from? The Voxel room or the retopo room?

Normally the same kind of mesh should be imported in your app, like the exported mesh from 3D Coat. I am using softimage and the exported meshes looks always the same, like the version in 3D Coat before.

Are you shure, you have not set any options while the import inside of max?

Best wishes and welcome to the forums

Chris

• Reputable Contributor

I think it must be like Taros said and is in your import settings of Max. I know that 3DCoat only exports quad polygons except when you export from the voxel room under the vox tree tab. There is does create tri polygons.

Did you export the model from the retopo room. Retopo Menu/export (can be with or without a uv map)

You can also merge for painting after creating the uvs for the model and export the model with quads from the paint room.

Welcome and enjoy 3DCoat...

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you exported the mesh from? The Voxel room or the retopo room?

Normally the same kind of mesh should be imported in your app, like the exported mesh from 3D Coat. I am using softimage and the exported meshes looks always the same, like the version in 3D Coat before.

Are you shure, you have not set any options while the import inside of max?

Best wishes and welcome to the forums

Chris

Hi Chris (Taros),

I am a Softimage user as well and I had a question for you. I have created a model in Voxels, Retopo'd it and sent it to MultiVertex where I then output the obj and associated maps. What are the best settings to get the best displacement maps out of 3dCoat and into XSI?

What are your displacement settings for Depth, Normalization and extension?

Do you use the Coarse (sharpen) mesh option? What does it do exactly?

When you bring the maps into XSI, do you need to use a change range node to get proper displacements?

I have been using 32bit exr's and zero black not normalized. But when I bring it into XSI (2011.5), the displacement looks way too intense. I tried it where zero is grey and used a change range node at -1 and 1 and got the same results. When I change the values to -.5 and .5 it looks better. Are there standard settings to use?

I am using Mental Ray and 3Delight, same results.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dan