3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Measurement Tool scales Feature Request

Chuckpie

The problem is that I don't know initial units. If I have 1 unit of coordinale, how many meters is it?

Andrew;

You have a great point. Sometimes we tend to forget ours is not the only country in this world (sorry). I also realize the metric system is the most widely used system except in the US. Anyway the only reason for the request is that it would allow me to match Lightwave which I have set to English (US) system. Instead of providing all the calculations the best way is if I sent you the link to the conversion software(free) I use and see if that would solve the problem.

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert/download.php

Thanks,

Chuck

• Advanced Member

Maybe the solution is to add a couple "custom" scale boxes below the existing ones and make the scale values persistent (the values will stay the same each time 3D Brush is loaded, until the user changes them.)

I'm assuming the length value is always meters. If you enter the value 3.28084 in the scale box, the resulting length value is in feet.

Make a 1 foot cube in LW and import it into 3D Brush (unsmoothed). With the scale set to 3.28084, the length across each face will be real close to 1 (foot). If you put 39.37 (3.28084 x 12) in the scale you would get a measurement of "real close to 12 (inches).

Here's a possible way to implement some custom scales. This leaves it to the user to enter their scaling value(s) and labels.

Arrow 1 is where the user's scaling value is set.

Arrow 2 points to the label the user enters.

Arrow 3 will be the result of the Scale value (arrow 1) x Measure value (arrow 4).

So if the value where arrow 4 points is 1, the value where arrow 3 points would be 3.28084 (feet in 1 meter).

post-438-1201716251_thumb.jpg

Let the user be responsible for the scales. It would be easy for us to make a conversion chart up for the help files.

Anyway, this may be one way to implement a conversion/measure tool.