3DCoat Forums

Two retopology feature: duplicate polygons and a new split

thinkinmonkey

• Advanced Member

Hi all,

I'm using intensely 3DCoat since some days to make a retopo of a stone floor and, because the nature of its modularity (I'm speaking about the floor not 3DCoat :)), I'd like to have a copy/paste polygons or a duplicate polygons feature so I can speed up things where they are very similar.

post-3325-12967518441081_thumb.jpg

Maybe the duplicated polygons can be dragged over the surface, rotated and scaled in a similar manner like working with voxels and only where you're happy, you press ENTER and polygons will be copied there, but still you have the duplicated polygons waiting for another operation.

In Maya the split polygon tool splits all edges crossed by the line, instead the 3DCoat Split you have to split every edge until you reach the desired destination: I'd like to have a split tool with the same behaviour.

I have to ask excuse if they exists, I'm using 3DCoat from a little time, I'm a newbie, but let me know what you think.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the missing "s" in "feature"

• Reputable Contributor

Hi all,

I'm using intensely 3DCoat since some days to make a retopo of a stone floor and, because the nature of its modularity (I'm speaking about the floor not 3DCoat :)), I'd like to have a copy/paste polygons or a duplicate polygons feature so I can speed up things where they are very similar.

post-3325-12967518441081_thumb.jpg

Maybe the duplicated polygons can be dragged over the surface, rotated and scaled in a similar manner like working with voxels and only where you're happy, you press ENTER and polygons will be copied there, but still you have the duplicated polygons waiting for another operation.

In Maya the split polygon tool splits all edges crossed by the line, instead the 3DCoat Split you have to split every edge until you reach the desired destination: I'd like to have a split tool with the same behaviour.

I have to ask excuse if they exists, I'm using 3DCoat from a little time, I'm a newbie, but let me know what you think.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the missing "s" in "feature"

I agree, there are a number of modeling tools that have been asked for, and to include a transform gizmo. But like any other software, we just have to take number and get in line. Andrew is up to his chin working with Raul on the new dynamic subdivision and bug fixing. I think it's going to be a little while before some of the smaller scale requests get any attention...However, once you have a good grasp of the tools, you'll be surprised how fast you can get a retopo job done. This is how I might approach it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmeEL9RfrF0

• Advanced Member

I was about to post something similar about the split issue - this is really needed to speed up things - could have saved me at least saved me two hours of work on my current project.

For me it's the same, so I hope it will be developed one day! :)

I agree, there are a number of modeling tools that have been asked for, and to include a transform gizmo. But like any other software, we just have to take number and get in line. Andrew is up to his chin working with Raul on the new dynamic subdivision and bug fixing. I think it's going to be a little while before some of the smaller scale requests get any attention...However, once you have a good grasp of the tools, you'll be surprised how fast you can get a retopo job done. This is how I might approach it...

Thanks for sharing your workflow, I've used something similar, but I've developed in different manner the base mesh. Anyway, I could imagine Andrew is busy and he develops all the time, I see new versions coming out often, so I'am happy about that and I hope a new split tool is in his future plan!

Could you tell me more about that dynamic subdivision? Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

For me it's the same, so I hope it will be developed one day! :)

Thanks for sharing your workflow, I've used something similar, but I've developed in different manner the base mesh. Anyway, I could imagine Andrew is busy and he develops all the time, I see new versions coming out often, so I'am happy about that and I hope a new split tool is in his future plan!

Could you tell me more about that dynamic subdivision? Thanks.

You do have the Split Rings tool available in the Tweak section of the Retopo Tools, but no way to cut/split across multiple edges outside of that. I'm used to being able to drag the CUT tool in Max like you describe, but I've gotten pretty fast at single clicking each edge, if I have to use the split tool...and it's no longer as much of an issue as it once was.

Nothing wrong with asking, but I just thought I'd mention he's a bit busy at the moment, with a big fish on the hook. A Dynamic Subdivision Fish. :D This is going to require dynamic subdivision (just like Sculptris had) in Voxel Volume as well as in Surface Mode. The reason is that details gained from local subdivision in Surface would otherwise get lost when merging back to volume mode, or else you'd have to jack up the resolution too high.

It's been a one man show up to this point, but with him bringing Raul in (there is some info in the 3.5 updates thread), that should double the brainpower and give Andrew more time to focus on bugfixes and tying up loose ends in the application. However, that also means it's going to slow things down a good deal in the short term, while Andrew helps Raul get up to speed with the code.