3DCoat Forums

3ds Max 2012 XBR Graphics

• Reputable Contributor

Nitrous Viewport Graphics

It had some viewport goodies before, but it's essentially incorporating the Quicksilver Render in the viewport display. They supposedly built the viewport tech from the ground up over the past few years (one of the reasons why it seemed a bit slow in 2011). Hopefully the speed improvements they claim are real.

• Advanced Member

Nitrous Viewport Graphics

It had some viewport goodies before, but it's essentially incorporating the Quicksilver Render in the viewport display. They supposedly built the viewport tech from the ground up over the past few years (one of the reasons why it seemed a bit slow in 2011). Hopefully the speed improvements they claim are real.

That looks cool. I've yet to try the latest versions of max. We're still stuck with 2009.

• Reputable Contributor

That looks cool. I've yet to try the latest versions of max. We're still stuck with 2009.

I heard that was the last version that had decent viewport performance. It seems that all the under-the-hood work done over the past few years has taken a toll in it. I'm really hoping they got that straightened out with this version. They certainly got an earful from the userbase over it the past version or so. The new UV tools look nice...basically the same type of unfold operation as what is currently in 3DC, but with more options.

One thing I really like is the dynamics now have Preset properties based on the real-world material used. So, Rubber materials would already have settings created to match it's real world properties....same with cloth, glass, metals and such.

• Advanced Member

That's one reason we haven't updated. 2009 is rock solid much like lw 9.6 is.

There's really nothing that can't be done with 3dmax 2009 and vray for a small cg shop like ours doing tv and pv stuff.

But I think the version that will come next year will be the one that fixes all issues with 3dmax. Xcalibur 2013. hehe.