3DCoat Forums

how do I invert the symmetry axis?

• Advanced Member

I'm sure I'm just missing something, but I can't find the answer in the wiki or the forums. I need to reverse the direction symmetry in the retopo room. I have made the geometry for my model in the +x quadrant, but the symmetry assumes the -x quadrant and erases all my work. tab moves the symmetry plane, how do I invert the symmetry plane?

tl:dr I need to mirror +x to -x instead of -x to +x, how?

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no way to do so, unless Andrew has added the feature recently without announcing it (not likely).

What I usually do if I've mistakenly created on the opposite side, is export the mesh out from Retopo>Export. Then go into a modeling app and mirror it, then delete the unneeded side, and finally bring it back into 3DC via Retopo>Import.

I know it's crazy, but it's the only way... For now.

Hi!

This is maybe not what you are after but there is "invert mirror" checkbox on the top. If you click that it inverts symmetry plane.

Oh right! Good point. I forgot about that. :)

You could hit that, then use the "Make symmetrical copy" icon in the retopo groups tab. That'll do it. Thanks haikalle. :)

• Advanced Member

Oh right! Good point. I forgot about that. :)

You could hit that, then use the "Make symmetrical copy" icon in the retopo groups tab. That'll do it. Thanks haikalle. :)

sweet! er.... at the top of what? it's not in the symmetry menu on 3.5.18

• Advanced Member

Make sure that you have symmetry on. It's not in symmetry menu. It's in between menu and room tabs. Hope you can find it. :)

yep. found it. thanks! I forgot about the dynamic UI that gets turned on because of the state of symmetry.

if I could log into the wiki, I'd add that to this page.

http://www.3d-coat.com/wiki/index.php/9.8_Symmetry