3DCoat Forums

'crease' brush and selection/masking shortcuts

rubeos

• Advanced Member

Hello,

I want to ask if currently 3dcoat have a preset brush like the brush 'crease' sculptris....or if the will it in a future version

And...let me give a little hint: I think one of the things most lacking in 3Dcoat is a rapid system of masking and selection via hotkeys / mouse or pen, such as Zbrush. I don't know if a quick combination like this already exists in 3dcoat.. exist only navigation like, I think.

Perhaps this could be easily implemented in 3dcoat with a preset navigation/masking/selection exactly 100% like ZBrush.

Although I prefer the type 3dcoat navigation, blender, lightwave etc. .... but I think that select and mask in 3dcoat is not a thing quickly as the users frequently need.

thank you

ehm...Google translator helped me

• Contributor

No it doesn't exist, at least not as easy as zbrush, you have to select a tool for masking, and that's a shame :/ Cause that would help tremendously and it's a feature that have been asked quite a few time.

I'm hoping with liveclay integration we will see a streamlining of surface tools, cause that's be much needed.

• Advanced Member
I want to ask if currently 3dcoat have a preset brush like the brush 'crease' sculptris...

crease sculptris tool is excellent, especially when used having strength at 20% and a wider brush size. Using the +- function, it's equivalent to the "pinch" +- zbrush tool.

I'm asking for this in 3dcoat, now I have to use the +- grow brush and pinch after, guessing mostly. Andrew's answer : "why do you need this?" ??? !!!

Both these sc and zb tools are a combination of two tools actually. Like a grow+pinch.

About masking, they have to implement a paint function on voxels first, not so easy at the moment.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies,

I think the 'crease' brush is very useful in some phases of modeling and sharpens quick the volumes of the model.

Frankly, I find it strange that 3Dcoat not yet have a 'crease' in the brush presets. Sculptris and ZB have it.

In my sculptor concept the tools most essential to the organic sculptures are relatively few, but they work well and be available quickly via keyboard shortcuts or key combination with the pen, the logic of sculptris, which is incredibly effective for any user, expert or not, because he has only a few instruments but are good, and can be accessed from the keyboard immediately and stored quickly. To make a good sculpture well enough to be able to use the few tools, that do what they promise.

For me are: clay, claytubes, crease, flatten, move, standard, inflate ... + smooth on each of these, pressing shift. Also: fast combination masking / selection by pen tablet.

Moreover, in the case of liveclay, a key to reducing the total number of polygons on the entire mesh losing only few local details. (Sculptris has this very useful tool)

These are essential tools, must do their job well and be called up quickly in all phases of work.

I don't understand how you do you customize an effect similar to the 'crease' brush in 3dcoat .... but I found a good approximation using the brush 'extrude' + alpha small brush preset.

I hope that is introduced as a preset for future releases, for convenience, along with a general improvement and clarification of some brushes ... now maybe it will be possible with the liveclay and the consequent high resolution.

Currently, i think one of the best 3dcoat brushes, to be equally sensitive as that of ZBrush 'clay', is the 'voxel clay', really nice to use, works well.

About the quick masking and selection ..I hope to be introduced

A system as fast as that of masking ZBrush becomes very important when modeling complex things, such as a hand, you need to quickly hide some fingers, modify, and return straight back.

I say this because I did not think that a system of quick mask was so important until I had to sculpt for my pleasure a model in which some parts kept hidden another parts.

Since there already navigating presets like ZBrush, I thought it was pretty easy for programmers to quickly create shortcuts in 3dcoat navigation selction + / masking, absolutely identical to ZBrush, just copy that part of the good logic modeling ZBrush. (ZBrush is not all good...there are plenty to do better, interface etc )

• Thanks 1