3DCoat Forums

3d-coat how to drop the voxel data and keep only surface representation?

ozukaru

• Advanced Member

hi, I have a very detailed voxel model (2x density) and I'd like to keep only a surface representation an drop (definitly) the voxel model (anyway I have a backup of it) with the hope that this release a lot of memory so the next phases of developing (retopo, unwrap and paint) 3d-coat have a better performance.

Is that posible? how? thanks.

PD: if not clear, im not talking only about converting to surface but drop (keep deleted) the voxel volumes too.

• Reputable Contributor

hi, I have a very detailed voxel model (2x density) and I'd like to keep only a surface representation an drop (definitly) the voxel model (anyway I have a backup of it) with the hope that this release a lot of memory so the next phases of developing (retopo, unwrap and paint) 3d-coat have a better performance.

Is that posible? how? thanks.

PD: if not clear, im not talking only about converting to surface but drop (keep deleted) the voxel volumes too.

You could just drag and drop the layer into the models pallet...which will convert it to an obj, and you will see a decimation dialogue panel. Now you can delete your voxel layers and merge that model from the models pallet (click on it) to bring it into your scene. There is an option in the Merge Options panel to merge without converting to voxels. Obviously you'll have to reassign any shaders you may have been using.

I haven't tested this procedure, but that's what I would try. You could export/merge through the file menu as well, but I think this is the shortest route.