3DCoat Forums

voxel modeling: Gravity bend predominating along axis?

The Candy-floss Kid

• Advanced Member

One task I always have issue with when voxel modelling is applying a smooth gravity bend/ curve through an object's axis. A slow fold as it were.

For example: the shallow elliptical brim of a hat where you require the brim to lift on the outer edges along the z axis , creating an even slow slope to the center. Just as if your hands had put a slow curve on either side of a hat brim.

Being able to place gravity bends along an axis with a falloff eludes me as "Wrap" doesn't appear to give me the control I need.

Using the move tool can create regional anomalies (hit and miss eyeballing results ) The pose tool with soft falloffs fails to achieve the result I'm after as does pose in freeform mode.

Is there a way of creating this kind of result?

Many thanks,

• Advanced Member

I don't think there are Zbrush-style overall deformations like Gravity, Inflate etc but I add my vote for a gravity deformer. Although perhaps it can be done with the cloth tool?

One task I always have issue with when voxel modelling is applying a smooth gravity bend/ curve through an object's axis. A slow fold as it were.

For example: the shallow elliptical brim of a hat where you require the brim to lift on the outer edges along the z axis , creating an even slow slope to the center. Just as if your hands had put a slow curve on either side of a hat brim.

Being able to place gravity bends along an axis with a falloff eludes me as "Wrap" doesn't appear to give me the control I need.

Using the move tool can create regional anomalies (hit and miss eyeballing results ) The pose tool with soft falloffs fails to achieve the result I'm after as does pose in freeform mode.

Many thanks,

• Advanced Member

I don't think there are Zbrush-style overall deformations like Gravity, Inflate etc but I add my vote for a gravity deformer. Although perhaps it can be done with the cloth tool?

Jamie, many thanks indeed for your suggestion. I give it a whirl but unfortunately it didn't give the desired result but perhaps there's a way to make the chosen mesh conform to the target shape without the cloth fx?

I could achieve the results in another app as you suggest and merge as voxels but yes, voxel deformers would be most welcome when staying in the groove of working within 3D Coat's voxels solely.

• Reputable Contributor

Many thanks,

Pose tool...using Sphere selection or select by pen...then smooth it where you want. I use the Pose tool all the time for such tasks and you can even assign an FFD cage to the selection to deform it that way. It's probably the most versatile single tool in 3D Coat, so you definitely want to get comfortable working with it

• Advanced Member

Pose tool...using Sphere selection or select by pen...then smooth it where you want. I use the Pose tool all the time for such tasks and you can even assign an FFD cage to the selection to deform it that way. It's probably the most versatile single tool in 3D Coat, so you definitely want to get comfortable working with it

I took a closer look at the pose tool as you recommended and found that pulling out the line gradient across in symmetry allowed me to curve the form up at the edges as if folded.Inverting the pose set also allowed me to accentuate a crease at the fold line too. Nice. Great too to make leafs , the groove on a tongue etc.

Many thanks for encouraging me to take another look at the Pose tool. Much appreciated :drinks:.