3DCoat Forums

advise on the Video & Tutorials

lc8b105

• Advanced Member

Since 3db will change to a new name,that's a new beginning.I see the videos on "Video & Tutorials " are very old.

So it is better to make new videos with the latest version,and use more cool model as the example.

and the format of the video,advise "flv"

Best wishes,

Luochen

• Advanced Member
Since 3db will change to a new name,that's a new beginning.I see the videos on "Video & Tutorials " are very old.

So it is better to make new videos with the latest version,and use more cool model as the example.

and the format of the video,advise "flv"

Best wishes,

Luochen

yes FLV would be better then WMV or AVI. even Quicktime would be nice.

• Contributor

Andrew, PLEASE, not flv------ONLY QuickTime---PLEASE! PLEASE!

I have done a survey--not a single one of my friends on computers have ever heard about flv--but all have QuickTime.

AND WHY WOULD THEY CHANGE?

• Advanced Member
Andrew, PLEASE, not flv------ONLY QuickTime---PLEASE! PLEASE!

I have done a survey--not a single one of my friends on computers have ever heard about flv--but all have QuickTime.

AND WHY WOULD THEY CHANGE?

flv is a flash format, viewable by any browser on any platform that have flash plugin installed, AFAIK more then 90% of PCs can view flash. So best streaming option is flash i think, its has advantages on all other formats if you need media streaming. Downloadable videos must be in higher resolution and popular format, such as .mov, .avi, .wmv.

Just go with flash. Quicktime is nice but the file sizes are larger and it just slows down the streaming. Flash can look good as long as you know how to compress it right. There is bad compression and there is good compression. The only way i can see Quicktime is if we had a way of having the option of downloading the files and saving them.

3d-Coat or 3DC.

3D brush was too close to ZBrush.

mike

Thanks.

Neither name sounds worth remembering IMHO.

3d-Coat sounds like a car paint with lumps in it! Yuck!

Plus '3d' in the name sounds like way too many other products.

And 3DC sounds so generic and plain that it could be the name of a drain cleaner or an air filter for a car!

What about a name that describes what it does, something like Texture Paint?

Any other ideas?

• Advanced Member
What about a name that describes what it does, something like Texture Paint?

Any other ideas?

You can find on the forum a few long topics with name related discussion, but now 3DC its a official new name and devs will not change it anymore afaik.

You can find on the forum a few long topics with name related discussion, but now 3DC its a official new name and devs will not change it anymore afaik.

If it's a done deal, so be it. I don't like the new name, but it's still the same great software, so B)

• Advanced Member

since when was .flv an obscure format. everyone has flash these days. its pretty much essential. perhaps though he was reffering to the fact that most people don't have a stand alone flash player

Id personally prefer flash to Quicktime. Quicktime got no credit from me when i decided it didnt want to play on Nvidia hardware :[

• Contributor
since when was .flv an obscure format. everyone has flash these days. its pretty much essential. perhaps though he was reffering to the fact that most people don't have a stand alone flash player

Id personally prefer flash to Quicktime. Quicktime got no credit from me when i decided it didnt want to play on Nvidia hardware :[

Some people are not visiting what are the two major 3D sites in the world. Going other than QuickTime I would think quite irresponsible!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/

http://www.cgarena.com/

Brian

• Advanced Member

I _so_ don't consider cgarena 'one of the major sites'.

Anyway, even mac people should be able to watch flv.

Is there another reason besides 'cgsociety does it, so we should as well'?

From an accessibilities point of view, flv is far more spread than .mov.

If the goal is to serve the most possible people, then it would be unreasonable to use a niche format (flame me for that, but compared to flash distribution almost everything is a niche format).

mike

• Advanced Member
I _so_ don't consider cgarena 'one of the major sites'.

Anyway, even mac people should be able to watch flv.

Is there another reason besides 'cgsociety does it, so we should as well'?

From an accessibilities point of view, flv is far more spread than .mov.

If the goal is to serve the most possible people, then it would be unreasonable to use a niche format (flame me for that, but compared to flash distribution almost everything is a niche format).

mike

QFT, Quicktime is a royal pain in the ass, flash is transparent and easy.

• Advanced Member

There is a free flv player available at: http://www.flvsoft.com/flv_player/

I just tried it on winXP x32 and winXP x64 systems and it installed and worked fine without an Internet connection or use of a browser.

You can associate .flv files and double click one to start the player or start the player and do a file|load. It is a bit disconcerting when starting the player because the intro screen shows a little line graph with the text "loading". Then it just "sits" there. I expected the "loading" to complete, but it doesn't. But you can click "file" and load your .flv. So I guess the "loading" means it's loaded up to a point but still needs a file to process.

Here's something to think about though. A real concern to me is not the format but can the tutorial makers afford the tools to make their tutorials in a certain format? Many tutorial writers have purchased tools for a particular format, say flv, and may not want to purchase more tools (Quicktime Pro) just to support an official 3D-C (tutorial) format. So it may have have adverse effect on limiting some tutorials.

I don't know if the tools convert between formats -- maybe someone who is knowledgeable in this area can comment?

• Advanced Member
Some people are not visiting what are the two major 3D sites in the world. Going other than QuickTime I would think quite irresponsible!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/

http://www.cgarena.com/

Brian

Really cant see your point. What many peoples here trying to explain you, is that flash is preferable format for streaming, and the fact that some of your friends does not know what the flash is rather telling us that those friends lack any knowlege in this topic. And what is really irresponsible is to advice on things you are lack any knowlege about.

Here's something to think about though. A real concern to me is not the format but can the tutorial makers afford the tools to make their tutorials in a certain format? Many tutorial writers have purchased tools for a particular format, say flv, and may not want to purchase more tools (Quicktime Pro) just to support an official 3D-C (tutorial) format. So it may have have adverse effect on limiting some tutorials.

I don't know if the tools convert between formats -- maybe someone who is knowledgeable in this area can comment?

There is totaly free software that can convert to and from flash. But if you are talking about capturing software, i dont know any good free tools that can do the job. I own camtasia, is most known\used tool for capturing.

• Advanced Member

Yes, mainly capturing. But most authoring tools combine capturing, editing, frame transitions, etc. For example, the site I mention above also sells flash creation software. By giving away their player, it probably helps sales to people who want to create content.

I guess I worry that selecting an "official" format might result in keeping some tutorials from being written (due to a lack of authoring tools for that format.) But if free conversion software is available, then there's no problem.

• Contributor

Sorry if I am flogging a dead horse.

This is the result of my survey of all my Computer Graphics (Note the description) contacts.

None of them would consider producing works for customers, or for interactivity with companion organisations, in other than QuickTime or AVI format. With a huge preference for Quicktime. As they said to me, "everyone" has QT and AVI capability.

And, for a follow up, I download about 6GBs of movie stuff, from a huge wide range of sources, each month. 95% of it is in QT or AVI format (by far mostly QT)

Sorry if I live in a different world.

• Advanced Member

I think that's the point; there's no one format that everyone would be happy with, but most (probably all) of the popular formats have free players. So I was simply questioning limiting tutorials to one format.

• Advanced Member

ok, just one more point:

You watch movies on the internet?

Most of the stuff is streamed as swf or flv. Even if you watch only seldom, I bet you had stumbled upon flv on a daily basis.

mike

[edit]

I think we shouldn't limit _our_ tutorials to a certain format, but everything what Andrew posts on the 3DC site should be of the same kind.

• Advanced Member
Sorry if I am flogging a dead horse.

This is the result of my survey of all my Computer Graphics (Note the description) contacts.

None of them would consider producing works for customers, or for interactivity with companion organisations, in other than QuickTime or AVI format. With a huge preference for Quicktime. As they said to me, "everyone" has QT and AVI capability.

And, for a follow up, I download about 6GBs of movie stuff, from a huge wide range of sources, each month. 95% of it is in QT or AVI format (by far mostly QT)

Sorry if I live in a different world.

OMG, we are talking same language but cant understand each other. Once again, we are talking about web STREAMING! In general you are right and its a known fact that .AVI & .MOV are most widely used video formats. But the both not nearly as flash optimized for streaming over the web. For downloads, as i already said in the first page files can be in any popular format (mov-avi-wmv) and preferebly higher-res.

• Contributor
OMG, we are talking same language but cant understand each other. Once again, we are talking about web STREAMING! In general you are right and its a known fact that .AVI & .MOV are most widely used video formats. But the both not nearly as flash optimized for streaming over the web. For downloads, as i already said in the first page files can be in any popular format (mov-avi-wmv) and preferebly higher-res.

Who said we were talking about "web streaming"--whatever the hell that is! (See,--- points of view!)(web streaming--would 2% of computer users know what you are talking about?)

Anyone who is doing"Business" will use (and should) the most "universal" means of communication---I am amazed at the lack of understanding!(It's nothing to do with what is going to be/should be)

Maybe all instructional movies should be in 5D to make sure the only people viewing people are "with it"?

• Advanced Member

Here's another point. I'm probably one of the few user's here who still use a dial-up Internet connection. So I prefer tutorials I can download and watch at my leisure without tying up my single phone line.

Since this is a very international site/program, I think it should be kept as flexible as possible. I also believe that's one reason there was so much debate over the name change -- lots of different interpretations over over words like "gem" or "coat" from a world-wide audience.

• Advanced Member

bwtr

Sorry, but i am really bored from this discussion, you can still debate with rest of the people, but i would advice you to get some knowlege of topic before you are going to debate about it. You also can still thinking that mov is best universal format just for everything, without realizing that its very depending on what you are going to do with your media, you can still thinking that only tech geeks know and use web streaming and so on - but in fact its all wrong, and streaming video tutorials about 3DC not going to be in mov, like it or not, because i am sure that Andrew have more knowlege in this topic.

jaf - generaly you can download flv files to your PC and watch it localy. Is a beuty of flash, is quite universal. File sizes are small compared to mov and avi, quality can be very good and its also streams great over the web. If someone want to see great example of .flv tutorials (done by guy that know how to capture\encode it very well) i advice you to visit VideoCopilot, its a great AfterEffects resource with many great free tutorials, all in flash of course.

• Contributor
lets keep it friendly, im sure we all have more lofty issues to get annoyed about than file formats.

This isnt worth lowering the tone of the forums over.

Agree? Like the two worlds of Mac/Win, Strange discussions not related to actualities.