3DCoat Forums

Local Axis Coordinate system not working correctly

• Reputable Contributor

Local Axis Coordinate system not working correctly. I cannot not use symmetry to help in retopoing with this problem. Problem is stated below.

Linux 64 bit non-cuda 3.5.24

Steps to reproducing the problem.

Create a voxel sphere with the primitive tool.

Choose the x axis for your symmetry and then view down the X axis.

Tranform "move" the sphere on the Z axis.

Now go to the retopo room. The X axis remained behind.

The Z axis has the same result using the above steps except of course you would view down the Z axis and move the sphere on the X axis.

The Y axis is reversed using again the same steps. Go to the retopo room and the Y axis has kept its local position. Now go back to the voxel room and the Y axis is now in the incorrect position.

The picture on the left shows the X axis in it's correct position in the voxel room.

The picture on the right shows the X axis in the incorrect position in the retopo room. All transforms (moves) were done in the voxel room before going to the retopo room.

post-518-0-02694700-1316308949_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

I also was in orthographic mode. The problem occurs in perspective mode too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The voxel room has problems too.

Create a Sphere with the primitive tool.. Again view down the X axis.

Create a new layer.

Turn symmetry off

Create a Sphere with the primitive tool in the new layer but before merging move the primitive object on the Z axis.

Merge the primitive object.

Turn symmetry on and the Y axis is not in the correct position

It appears there is a bug in the local coordinate system dealing with the voxel models.

The picture shows I'm on the new layer. This is right after I merged the new primitive sphere in the new layer. I turned off the top layer to clearly show the problem.

post-518-0-59911100-1316312228_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Turn symmetry on and the Y axis is not in the correct position.

The above statement from my second post is incorrect.

It was very late when I posted the bug report, sorry but I meant to say.

"Turn symmetry on and the X axis is not in the correct position."

• Reputable Contributor

I went all the way back to version 3.2.1 to test and it had the same problem. Maybe this was by intent that transfrom movements along a axis in the voxel room are not being updated in the retopo room but should not my movements of a voxel object in the voxel room be updated in the retopo room with the same local coordinates. The same goes for the when creating a new layer for a voxel object that is to be merged. Would it not be better to have the Local Axis Coordinate system keep with the object to be merged where ever you are in world space. The way it is now creates confusion...

• Advanced Member

All this is not a bug in general. Symmetry in Retopo room is global. Symmetry in Voxel room is local. Of course "To global space" may convert local to global. I have no idea how to improve it.

You are right, I was confused. For me using "to global space" does not change co-ordinates of the object, but does turn Non Uniform to Uniform and sets symmetry plane back to origin. The confusing thing is that I made the complete model with symmetry, and is completely symmetrical, about the x axis, yet the whole thing is off center. The model was Uniform. How did it get offset from x=0? An accident perhaps. Who knows? I should have checked my co-ordinates.

I am sorry this has wasted your time. I will remove the bug report I have made here http://3d-coat.com/f...view=getnewpost and on Mantis

Andrew said "I have no idea how to improve it."

Perhaps a "lock symmetry plane to origin" option for symmetry options if possible would be nice.

Or an indication like the red "(Non Uniform)". I believe it still will say Uniform if your model is off center, but only Non Uniform if its scaled in any way. Could this be changed to just simply being off center?

• Reputable Contributor

I went all the way back to version 3.2.1 to test and it had the same problem. Maybe this was by intent that transfrom movements along a axis in the voxel room are not being updated in the retopo room but should not my movements of a voxel object in the voxel room be updated in the retopo room with the same local coordinates. The same goes for the when creating a new layer for a voxel object that is to be merged. Would it not be better to have the Local Axis Coordinate system keep with the object to be merged where ever you are in world space. The way it is now creates confusion...

I had an idea this was so for the retopo room but Andrew did find a problem with the Voxel room symmetry plane according to his twitter statement and he fixed it.

I sent an idea for a possible solution to Andrew but Andrew as a programmer would know if it is even feasible or desirable...