3DCoat Forums

Filename visible on hover over Pen Alpha

wailingmonkey

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

Is there a way to retain the name of the alpha files (viewable when hovering over them?)

so that we can better recognize the appropriate one. Or perhaps even a way to name them

inside 3d-C?

I'm finding it to be a bit cluttered and hard to choose the proper pen alpha as I fill up my

custom folders (especially with very similar alphas like skin, for instance).

Cheers! :)

wailingmonkey

• Advanced Member

Speaking of files..... Lightwave has a nice incremental file save feature that I really like. You start your projects and on the first save, you save it like: "myFile_v001.lws". The "_v001" would be a requirement that the incremental save can work from. Then, each time you hit the incremental save hotkey, the filename is saved as "myFile_v002.lws, myFille_v003.lws", etc.

This is an alternative to doing a bunch of undo's and (I find) convenient enough that it almost becomes an unconscious part of the workflow. Just a little cleanup at the end or maybe it's worth saving the version for possible modifications in the future.

Anyway, just a small request that should be quite easy to implement.

• Contributor
Speaking of files..... Lightwave has a nice incremental file save feature that I really like. You start your projects and on the first save, you save it like: "myFile_v001.lws". The "_v001" would be a requirement that the incremental save can work from. Then, each time you hit the incremental save hotkey, the filename is saved as "myFile_v002.lws, myFille_v003.lws", etc.

This is an alternative to doing a bunch of undo's and (I find) convenient enough that it almost becomes an unconscious part of the workflow. Just a little cleanup at the end or maybe it's worth saving the version for possible modifications in the future.

I have incremental save on other apps as well as LW,------ Hexagon, MoI, AmapiPro------best thing since sliced bread as far as I am concerned.

Really annoyed with working with apps that do not have it. My 2 cents worth.

Is there different key for incremental save or it uses usual "Save" button?

• Advanced Member

Andrew, is different key. You are using max, right? In max this button hiden, but you can add it via "Customize" -"Menu", then you'll have inside file menu new button "Save Incremental". Its must be grooped with other save buttons i think, like this:

Save File...

Save File as...

Save Incremental...

Andrew, is different key. You are using max, right? In max this button hiden, but you can add it via "Customize" -"Menu", then you'll have inside file menu new button "Save Incremental". Its must be grooped with other save buttons i think, like this:

Save File...

Save File as...

Save Incremental...

Understood. Will be done.

• Advanced Member

A hot key is important -- something that one can hit quickly without going through a menu if they don't need or want to. Maybe shift-s or "i" for incremental.

Another thing for Andrew: Are you going to change the 3D-Coat file format name to ".3C" (from ".3B")?

• Contributor

Here is an example of the MoI Incremental save.

Firstly is the button to click. However I think most only use the keyboard A.

I have circled a series of incremental saves to show how they are sequentially numbered.

So, as I am working, when I get a point where I dont want it to be lost, I just click incremental save and it is done. Simple as that. One click, no typing or searching for files.

post-192-1205625086_thumb.jpg