3DCoat Forums

Retopo - Grow /Shrink selection?

manticor

• Reputable Contributor

Is there a grow /shrink selection option in the retopo room?

That's a good feature request (usually the kind Andrew can do relatively quickly). In the clip below there are some awesome selection tools, including Loop mode, ring mode, and this DOT RING selection, that I've requested numerous times in the past. These kinds of selection tools are greatly needed in my opinion, to clean up Autopo generated meshes. That DOT ring can do in a few clicks what would otherwise take at least a few minutes. Note the 1:10 mark and onward:

I hope Andrew can go through this video and try to implement as many of the functions as possible before V4 is finally released. That and a SHELL tool/modifier (to create thickness in thin objects, like clothes, belts, tables, etc. It really would take the Retopo toolset to the next level, in my opinion.

• Advanced Member

Yeah dot loop is awesome .the poly boost toolset was a great addition to max.

I just wanted grow selection because using autopo can create unneeded polys ,so grabbing one poly and then expanding the selection saves a lot time when they are in awkward places .

• Reputable Contributor

Also one thing that is missing is the ability to select a loop or group of verts and relax them, and only them. Oftentimes, I don't want to use the Brush tool +SHIFT key to relax an area because it can pull the loops or verts in the opposite direction you want it to go. You just want to average the spacing on the loop/selection itself. I've been waiting a long time for Andrew to catch a break from large new features (like Ptex, LiveClay, PolyPainting,etc.), and focus on refining the toolsets he already has...such as the Retopo and Paint Rooms. Doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon.

One of the other things I asked Andrew about some time ago was adding Soft/Gradient selection (just like it is in the Sculpt Room), to make it easier to go back to a Voxel Sculpt, make large scale changes and massage the Retopo Mesh to fit those changes. That is a tough task without soft selection. Not to mention drag and dropping primitives from the Models pallet to fit onto the voxel model, as a good starting point for Retopo work (ie, Spheres for the head, with the poles at the ears, cylinders for the arms, legs and torso). Soft selection would be nearly essential to get those to fit quickly and properly.

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Did any of these suggestions get implemented? I really need a grow selection option for faces similar to how most 3D apps do it (e.g. 3ds Max). I could then move this selection to a different retopo group, allowing me to hide everything else. It's a ton of pointy teeth that need editing in the retopo room and it's too tight of fit to select each face one at a time, nearly impossible actually since they are not perpendicular to the surface they jut out from. Since they're basically cylinders, It would be so easy to just select the tip and grow that selection until it reached the base. Going to cross my fingers and toes in the hope that this is indeed possible, or will be soon. :)