3DCoat Forums

Use 3DCoat to produce a Triangle Tessellated Mesh ?

ggaliens

• Advanced Member

Use 3DCoat to produce a Triangle Tessellated Mesh ?

I want to export a mesh as a triangle mesh where

1) Frequency of triangles increases in area of high-detail on model.

2) regular triangle shapes are favored over long and skinny.

I know I can do this a bit in MeshLab ...

but I was wondering if 3DCoat could do this in light of the fact that 3DCoat is

extremely good autoretopo if you give it densiy hints with brush.

• Advanced Member

voxel window> switch to surface mode> in the lower toolbar to the left you will see "Merge" , select merge without voxelizing and size the object to your preference - press apply.

on export set the reduced polycount percentage to zero to keep your hand painted reduction modifications or allow export to further crunch your polys by setting percentage reductions

BTW it imports meshes with groups/polygroups/parts etc as a nested volume but will not export the reduced components out as one unified mesh with separate components, each must in turn be separated out from the nested group and exported individually which is a great shame production wise. At least for me that is the case I have had no luck exporting the nested volume - perhaps there is a way?

An ideal production scenario would be to send the reduced nested mesh to the uv room to allow uv creation per mesh component and from there on to painting. Unfortunately that does not seem to work - neither can you uv it seems per mesh group/ part. Maybe somebody could also verify that?

Aside from LiveClay, 3DC does have a decimation feature that does what you want which you will always see when you export the model from File > Export > Export Object or Export Object from right clicking in the VoxTree. The only problem is that it doesn't go quite as far as I would like and I usually end up decimating further with qemLOSS 3 in LightWave.

• Advanced Member

@Phil, many thanks Phil, I did a test where I fused some sharp edged forms with more organic shapes. Seems like the export decimation method does a better job on sharp edged geometric forms than I could achieve painting up to the margins by hand. I imagine using this option + a merge without voxelizing, then using the smart decimate to further reduce the organic areas would make a great combination.

@BeatKitano,"Smart decimate" , very nice and many thanks for pointing this new feature out. Testing it now. Wish there was a way to create auto-freezing/ masking on sharper edge transitions to protect them but great feature nonetheless.