3DCoat Forums

Clueless New Member

Hope Ashmore

Hi! I'm new here and I wanted to see if i could get help with my model that my friend is working on. Pretty much making me a middle person for information.

But my question is, what would be an effecient way to seperate a head and body from the model then autopy both seperately then putting it back?

• Advanced Member

Well if I understand what you are wanting correctly:-

You could use the "cut off" tool, Save your sculpt as Full body, cut off the head, save as body. Re open Full body 3b file, cut off the body, save as head. Then Autopo the body in the body file, delete the part on top of the neck where the head joins on and "Save retopology state" , do the same with the head. Then open full body 3b sculpt, go to retopo room and "Restore retopology state" for both the head and the body. Then "select all the faces of 1 layer "(Retopo Group) in the Groups panel, with the "Select all faces in this layer" button at the bottom of that panel. Then select the other retopoGroup and press the "Move all selected Faces to Current layer" button just to the left of the "Select all Faces in this layer" button. Then you can join up your 2 meshs with the retopo tools.

Note; when you "restore retopology state" don't snap (in the pop up) them to your model, they should be in the right location anyway provided you haven't moved your sculpt.

Oh diggman you beat me to it, must have taken me 18 mins to type that up :gamer1:

Well if I understand what you are wanting correctly:-

You could use the "cut off" tool, Save your sculpt as Full body, cut off the head, save as body. Re open Full body 3b file, cut off the body, save as head. Then Autopo the body in the body file, delete the part on top of the neck where the head joins on and "Save retopology state" , do the same with the head. Then open full body 3b sculpt, go to retopo room and "Restore retopology state" for both the head and the body. Then "select all the faces of 1 layer "(Retopo Group) in the Groups panel, with the "Select all faces in this layer" button at the bottom of that panel. Then select the other retopoGroup and press the "Move all selected Faces to Current layer" button just to the left of the "Select all Faces in this layer" button. Then you can join up your 2 meshs with the retopo tools.

Note; when you "restore retopology state" don't snap (in the pop up) them to your model, they should be in the right location anyway provided you haven't moved your sculpt.

Oh diggman you beat me to it, must have taken me 18 mins to type that up :gamer1:

The info you gave me will still help! I apprciate it very much, I myself am learning all of this just from being "exposed" to it because it is my project. I will let my friend know this as well. Thank you for being so helpful.

• Reputable Contributor

The info you gave me will still help! I apprciate it very much, I myself am learning all of this just from being "exposed" to it because it is my project. I will let my friend know this as well. Thank you for being so helpful.

An easier way is just use the Hide tool in the Voxel Room to hide the part you don't want Autpo to affect. Once it's created a mesh for one part you can do the same for the other. You could also use the SPLIT tool to separate them to different volumes/layers and run Autopo on them separately.

At that point, if you want to join the head and the body in Voxels before baking, just shift drag one layer onto the other. Then to make both Autpo layers merged into one, in the Retopo Room, you simply click the little icon at the bottom of the layer panel that says "select all faces on this layer" > select the layer you want to move that mesh to > and the other icon (to the right of the previous one) that says "move faces to this layer." Now you have the whole mesh on one layer. To weld the verts together, use the "Move Vertices" tool and just drag one over the top of the other. When you see it turn red, just let go and it welds them together.