3DCoat Forums

My brandnew computer to weak for big *.obj files (painting room)?

• Advanced Member

Hello, I'm today very sad, I was made in the voxel-room a nice figure, my biggest figure ever. Its for the export to obj. around 10.000.000 polygons big / araound 200MB ....

ok, now I wanted to piant textures and so on, in the paint room ... but 3D coat did freeze (I tried also the GL version) :( It doesent open this file, also after waiting 20 minutes, the DX/GL version freezes only.

:(

But I can not believe, that my computer is to weak ...

Its brandnew, with an intel i7-2600k cpu, 16 GB RAM, Windows 7 (64 bit) and GForce GTX 550Ti

A smaller obj with only 1MB I could opening/painting withjout any problem.

I'm now disapointed :(

Unbenannt1.jpg

• Advanced Member

Edit -> now after nearly a hour - I got the message - 'OUT OF MEMORY'

Unbenannt1.jpg

But I can not understand it real, coz I have 16GB RAM, only firefox was opening (only a handful tabs), Kepass (a small keymanager) and only some regulary OS-tasks/processes. And also 16GB virtual RAM.

What can I do? Should I expand much more virtual RAM? And if I should, is it good to make my virtual RAM on my second Harddisk (its a big big seagate HD with 2TB)? But my system/important programms are running on a SSD, but this SSD is small and its only 120GB big.

• Advanced Member

Don't know what kind of file it is that could be so big. But you can try and open it with UVMapper Classic (the free one) and not export the normals.

I've saved as much as 30 percent of the file size doing that.

Of course, UV Mapper Classic might choke up on file size that big as well.

Export by group if you can. Seems awfully big.

Thanks for the screenshot of the error.

THe problem is that you're using the GL version. There is a known bug with it. Try using the DX version, you should have much better luck. You said you were using the "DX/GL" version in your first post, but you're definitely using the GL version.

Maybe it's simply that it's too big.

Are you exporting an .obj file directly from the Voxel room, or do you retopologize first?

Because if you export a Voxel figure directly, that can be enormous! Especially if you have increased density!

Another possibility is that you need to increase your virtual memory. I've had problems with that before.

Here is a tutorial:)

• Advanced Member

Hey, thanks for your answers, I did reduced my object (little devil) from 10 mega-polygons to 5 mega polygons, even 5 Million polygons where too much for my computer, so tried also 300.000 polygons and 30.000 polygons, I see that 30.000 are good enough, but I did lost fine details, e.g. the tooths of my object/devil are flatten/destroyed :( what can I do? work in groups? tooths for high details? I did also see, that my old/good silo (from nevercenter) could repair (with the smooth tool) some wrong placed polygons. ;)

So I'm a little bit happier, but not so happy about loosing fine details e.g. tooths :(

• Advanced Member

EDIT cant understand, why I can not handle with an simple 1.000.000 highpoly object. My 3D Coat did freeze if I want make an auto-retopology :(

I was making a test with an new object :( can not believe thats on my computer :(

ps. with silo 2.2 from nevercenter I can e.g. handle with 1.5 mega polygons

• Advanced Member

Zwischenablage01.jpg

I did clear my latest 3D Coat from my SSD, now I did download a other version (CUDA Version) - and I installed it not under C:/ (SSD) - I installed it under my Harddisk (D:/...). It freezes again. Its just a fast testobject, a simple voxel-sphere with some voxel-addings. And this program failed again :( I don't know why :(

I will look after 3DCoat 3.5 and working with mid/low poly - I can do it also with silo :(