3DCoat Forums

Per Pixel. Micro vertex, ptex

Rich_Art

• Advanced Member

Hi All,

Pavel Zoch (PZDM) told me that it is best to paint with Micro Vertex if you want a displacement map and that Per Pixel Paint is more suitable for low poly objects.

I don't see the Micro vertex option in 3DC. See image, which one is the Micro Vertex option?

post-3342-12863475915419_thumb.jpg

The only one I can think of is the "Auto retopo and paint" option.

I can't find the answer in the manual or here on the forum.

Thanks.

Peace,

Rich_Art. :good:

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it is that option because I do see the other painting modes. So this one is the only one it has to be. But to be sure I'd ask.. :rolleyes:

But is this the best option to paint displacement?

Peace,

Rich:

Yes, micro-vertex painting provides the most actual mesh displacement while painting. It also works best if you use a higher "Approximate Polycount" from the AUTOPO wizard. But, this depends on whether you need to produce a low poly asset or not.

However, I think if larger displacements are what you are after, try to do these, (not super high frequency), details in voxel space. And, if you are making a model just for rendering or for animation in an app like Blender, I recommend you try the option "AUTOPO with Ptex" from the menu. You have so much flexibility with Ptex, incredible quality, and since Andrew has an automatic conversion going on which gives you a standard UV map upon export to other apps, you don't even need to worry about Ptex compatibility in these other apps.

Give 'er a whirl!

Greg

• Advanced Member

Cool thanks Greg. I never touched Ptex. I thought I could not use it because Cinema4D does not support Ptex.

I'll try this of course. :yahoo:

I mainly do stills. If you like, You can see some of my work on my gallery on C4DCafe.com.

LINK

I've attached my latest image I completed :rolleyes:

Peace,

Rich:

Really nice. Thanks for posting this. I hope you will be able to do work of this quality, even quicker than you are used to with other methods, all within 3D-Coat. You oughtta try the built in renderer - very good for many things.

Then, I demand you post the results on this forum.

Haha!

Greg

• Advanced Member

Rich:

Really nice. Thanks for posting this. I hope you will be able to do work of this quality, even quicker than you are used to with other methods, all within 3D-Coat. You oughtta try the built in renderer - very good for many things.

Then, I demand you post the results on this forum.

Haha!

Greg

Thanks Greg,

Of course I'll upload any work that is made with the use of 3Dcoat here as well. :yahoo:

Peace,

• 4 years later...