3DCoat Forums

Texture/Decal Placement inside Pipe

David Schoneveld

• Advanced Member

I was trying to put a door decal inside a tunnel inside a spaceship. I couldn't find a way to do it w/o distortion from perspective. iso view doesn't cut through an object so I couldn't see it, and perspective view always distorts the door. I'd have done it in photoshop but the door covers 4 different islands. its not a deal breaker just something I wanted to do and found it impossible w/ my current understandings and attempts.

• Reputable Contributor

Well, that's something you always need to plan for, when laying out UV's. You could lay out your UV's to accommodate it. I just tried to redo my UV's on a bottle with a logo, and I was surprised that when I hit APPLY UV SET, that the texture placement was somehow intact. Don't know how 3DC did it, but one way to change uv's without losing your texture work is to make your new UV changes (make sure to click APPLY UV SET) > export to OBJ > go back to the old file and > TEXTURES > Import UV's > find the new OBJ you just exported (that has the new UV's). Once you have the UV's good to go, you should open the UV Texture Editor, and use the Materials pallet (bring your decal into the pallet) to apply it.

Have you seen this video yet?

Another approach may be to "place image along slpine" tool. Don't know how it well it will work on an obscured part of your model. But if not, you can always use the Hide polygons tool, in the Paint Room. Select the part that is in the way and try to work around it.

• Reputable Contributor

Have you tried the transform and copy tool.... as long as you get a front view of the area you want to place a decal on, it will not distort the image on a cylinder in perspective mode.

Like AbnRanger said use the hide polygon feature but use the last spline (triangle) in the E_Panel to be able to select the polygons accurately...

Excuse the crummy graphic...

I believe I talked about this before using the transform and copy tool. My answers were not worded too well but I understandable... I was tired that day.

Here is the link again if you need it.

http://3d-coat.com/f...h=1

We could really use a transparent setting on the transform copy tool to make placing an image easier.

Hope this helps and if not, well I tried...

post-518-0-86887400-1344878467_thumb.jpe