3DCoat Forums

Coke can from LW

LG2

post-733-1210175764_thumb.jpg

post-733-1210180705_thumb.jpg

hello I have a coke can that i would like to map using a image off a lable. its just a 10 min job in LW with typ mapping but i would like to explore uv ideas.

not sure how to do this in 3d-coat with automapping or my LW clusters... if i load the can into 3D-coat from LW the maps do not view. the standerd uv mapping tools do not seem to look right.

any ideas how to map a coke can? :unsure:

LG2

• Advanced Member
post-733-1210175764_thumb.jpg

post-733-1210180705_thumb.jpg

hello I have a coke can that i would like to map using a image off a lable. its just a 10 min job in LW with typ mapping but i would like to explore uv ideas.

not sure how to do this in 3d-coat with automapping or my LW clusters... if i load the can into 3D-coat from LW the maps do not view. the standerd uv mapping tools do not seem to look right.

any ideas how to map a coke can? :unsure:

LG2

I think you need to make UVs in LW and then bring it to 3DC. For now, UV maping inside 3DC its not a best idea if you already have full featured application like LW. Simple cylindrical mapping should work for you.

I don't see any reason to use 3DCoat for a simple thing like this. If you wanted to paint the can by hand then I would suggest using 3DCoat, but for wrapping a label like that you can just do it in LW.

• Reputable Contributor

Here is one way to apply your label in 3D-Coat. I will be testing another soon. Use the picture along the spline tool. I have included a tutorial picture.

*Edit: I solved the label ends not quite ending at the uv island borders. Look at the second picture first and then the first to help understand the process. It might seem confusing at first but is quite easy and only takes a minute to wrap a label. When I have time I will make a video tutorial. Our meg allotment was increased, pictures uploaded. I just made a simple cylinder. A better model would look fine at the top and bottom of the can.

Study the "picture along the spline tool" dialog box functions so you can complete the label wrap.You can also use to the 2d grid to line things up better and it helps keep the image from bending.

post-518-1210365721_thumb.jpg

post-518-1210365961_thumb.jpg

Here is one way to apply your label in 3D-Coat. I will be testing another soon. Use the picture along the spline tool. I have included a tutorial picture. The link is below.Click on the full screen icon for a better view. I have no more meg space to upload images here.

*Edit: I solved the ends of the label issue. Will update soon with another tutorial picture.

http://www.jumpcut.com/view?id=C1445F481DD...F385C&type=

I will try to increase allowed megs. I just shoud find this option in forum settings :)