3DCoat Forums

MULTIPLE LOGOS using the Stamp Tool

BABE

Hello all

2 questions , before i consider bying the full version of 3d-coat

1.Does the full version allow import of Collada.dae Files and 3ds ?-----------from Sketchup.

2. is there a simple way to apply Multiple logos to a model ?

Thankyou

• Reputable Contributor

I haven't tried to import from Sketchup, but you can import collada file, yes. And you can apply as many logos as you want on one layers or multiple layers. You import your logo images into the Materials Pallet, click on the thumbnail and paint project it either in the 3D viewport or 2D Texture Editor. The 2D Editor is probably the best way to go about it, so there is no obstruction or Perspective distortion. You also have a "Place Image along Spline" tool in the Paint room. So, yes, a few different ways you could approach it.

Thanx

why does the TRIAL version Exclude the COLADA .dae & 3DS file import ?

im glad i asked..................because i was about to ignore 3DCOAT.................for not having the BASICS.

-------------------------------

Whats the procedure for importing an image logo............to appear in the BRUSH tab please ?

as a FULL image & not a Depth map .

FAST_TEXTURE.gif

The Brush Alpha Panel will hold only alpha images with depth information.

To "stamp" a full color image or logo, etc - add a new Material and only use the 2nd field for your color file. It will appear ghosted in the Viewport. Position it and size it using the controls in the Material dialog - disabling both the "Paint with Depth" and "Paint with Specular" icons (X through the icon) - choose a neutral color or white foreground color and just paint over the ghosted logo image.

It's most accurate to put the Viewport into one of the Orthographic Views to avoid distortion when Painting over your image.

Greg Smith

• Reputable Contributor

Thanx

why does the TRIAL version Exclude the COLADA .dae & 3DS file import ?

im glad i asked..................because i was about to ignore 3DCOAT.................for not having the BASICS.

-------------------------------

Whats the procedure for importing an image logo............to appear in the BRUSH tab please ?

as a FULL image & not a Depth map .

Make sure you download the latest (V4) Beta, and it should be the FULL version with no limits, except a 30 day limitation.

http://3d-coat.com/f...?showtopic=8887

In this video, it covers the material pallet a bit toward the latter half. Maybe it will help a bit.

• Reputable Contributor

There a number of ways to stamp logos, One way but not the only way is using the transform and copy tool. I need to make a video as I have answered this question many times but the answers are scattered and somewhat convolved...

Here is a link to a thread concerning logos etc... Remember this important point, If you need a transparent background in your logo,envoke your external editor. 3DCoat will respect the alpha channel from the external editor.

This might be convolved in the answer but I think if you test the transform and copy tool, you can work through the many powerful features it has...

http://3d-coat.com/f...showtopic=10042

Also if you are using the Linux beta 4 version of 3DCoat, the collada export was not included by mistake I believe. I have posted a bug report at mantis.

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, I was thinking about creating your own images outside of 3DCoat that support the transparency channel for the transform and copy tool.

Create a psd file that has these three named layers shown in the picture.

Use Mid grey 127,127,127 for the height layer.

Use Black for the specular channel.

Your color layer is for placing your logo, designs or painting.

Now you can import this PSD file and your transparency channel will be included.

The grey and black layers are read as transparent by 3DCoat. They are used for saving height and specular information

These are the same layers that 3DCoat creates for the PSD file when you

save a PSD file using the export function in the transform and copy's tool options panel.

Note: If you create layers above the Color Layer, merge these to the Color Layer before saving. Keep a backup of your original file first with the extra layers before merging...

Remember that 3DCoat resizing feature is not resampling. You will need to edit your image by invoking the external editor to resample your image down to a smaller size if needed.

I used Gimp to create the PSD file.

post-518-0-18707000-1351874892_thumb.png