3DCoat Forums

Export UV Room checkerboard textures as PSD

popwfx

• Advanced Member

Unless I missed how to do this, It would be great if 3DCoat could export the checkerboard texture used in the UV room after you've marked seams as a PSD file. Ideally it would also have the seams as lines and the polygon wireframe on separate layers too.

This would be very useful for double-checking UV distortion in bone animation without having to paint your own yet. Also, it's nice to work with this colored checkerboard (I'm happy if you export even the default colors that 3DC picks - but if you could change the colors in the UV room of a cluster easily enough that would be good too).

• Advanced Member

I don't think you can export the wireframe filled with the UV checkerboard textures. I know the file location for the UV checker board textures is C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V4-BETA\textures. But you can export the wireframe for your UV by doing the following:

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:40 PM - by b33nine

Edit > Sync Layers with Ext. Editor

That will kick out the current layer you're working on to photoshop as well as the wireframe. Usually what I do is: Edit > Edit All Layer with Ext. Editor, save that file as a different name, then, Edit > Sync Layers with Ext. Editor to grab the wireframe, fill a layer underneath the wireframeand then drag them both over to your previous file (the filled layer is to help make sure it lines up perfectly), then save the file. From there you have a wireframe you can click on and off in photoshop.

• Reputable Contributor

This is just for creating the uv layout and wireframe psd with two layers for animation checking purposes...

Nice method there Wave of Light... You can remove a step...

Open the UV Texture Editor

Use a material checkerboard with tilling turned on and then using the fill tool to fill each uv island with a different color and the checkerboard pattern if that is what you want.

You only need layer "0" and layer "1". Have layer "1" selected...

Edit > Sync Layers with Ext. Editor

The file will open with the wireframe on the bottom layer and your checkerboard on the top layer.

Move the wireframe layer up one layer in the external editor.

Use Multiply or burn or screen to highlight the wireframe better...

Wave of Light if you had not shared about the sync layers with Ext. Editor, I would have not known that you get the wireframe exported..

So with both methods you get what you need but avoid the moving step... :D

I converted the image to jpeg for uploading so I lost the transparency and of course to be able to do this by just exporting the checkboard pattern and wireframe say from the retopo custom checkers menu without going through the above steps would be great and less time consuming.

post-518-0-20239000-1354484653_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Cool Digman, that'll work even better.

However, I can't take full credit for my part as it was posted by b33ine, whilst I was trying to figure out how best to show the UV mesh when I was texturing the Lancaster (needed it for rivet placement in PS).

• Advanced Member

thanks wave of light - I'll try that trick with the wireframes right now - that should help! (Ideally I'd like vector shapes or *.AI file for the wireframe - but I ask for too much :D )

But I still think the checkerboard shouldn't be that much work since it's already mapped to the UVs in the UV room, it should just be a one-click thing for users as I imagine it essentially is a "dump from memory" behind the scenes. Seems like a quick win dev-wise...

Sometimes I wanna fix UVs and test everything back and forth a few times with animations before I finally sit down and paint textures on the character....

to see wireframe use:

paint room

layers

export

color -only export current layer selection-

open the saved psd file in photoshop or gimp

you can see 2 layers:

- one with the color with multiply blend

- the another one the wireframe UV map

lol yeah... is true :D

workaround

- make an own checkerboard texture