3DCoat Forums

what kind of card are you running?

SonK

• Advanced Member

I'm actually running a low end Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS and the performance is just amazing. I'm just curious what kind of graphics card people using 3DCoat with? and how is the performance ?

• Advanced Member

3D-coat even can run well on my laptop with Inter GMA 950 integrated card,1GB RAM.The performance is good but the texture size should <= 1024*1024.

Andrew did a good job,he made 3dc can run well even on very weak computer.

As I know,topogun/FaoGen/modo can't run at all on my weak laptop.

:)

• Advanced Member

GeForce 7950.

But speaking from personal experience I can say with all honesty that RAM makes a bigger difference in performance, especially with a 64 bit system. With 2GB on Windows XP I maxed out 3DC's performance (under those specs) at 16m polys and 2 layers of texture at 4096x4096. Working with a model at this resolution would choke my system, even with the /3gb switch enabled it would eventually groan to a stop. With Vista64 and 8GB of RAM my machine my machine runs the same model in 3DC like a dream. It's a truly beautiful thing after struggling with the XP RAM cap for so many months.

One thing I learned about video cards during my upgrades: More VRAM on your card actually means the system loses resources to manage it. So a 1.5G video card sounds cool until you put it in a 2GB system and find only .5GB of system resources left to manage the OS and other apps. Weird, huh? So on a system running 3DC with only 1-2gb of ram, a smaller graphic drain/less powerful card on your system resources is a good thing.

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent there.

-Oliver

• 4 weeks later...