3DCoat Forums

LightWave 11.5 released!

• Reputable Contributor

Looks really good...however, I was expecting that they would have added TurbulenceFD in there, somehow (maybe a bundle or something), because it was mentioned on the forums after Siggraph, by their new marketing director (Spina?). Maybe LW12, when everyone has to pay for the upgrade. I'm sure they couldn't get it added in cheaply. Nonetheless, I think a lot of studios would see the value in moving much of their VFX pipeline to LW, if it was added. Why? Cause a lot are using 3ds Max + FumeFX ($3500 + $900 = $4400), if not Houdini. Then they will generally opt to go with VRay or finalRender (additional $1200).

With all the Bullet dynamics and TFD + VPR, LW would have to be a tempting option for budget reasons alone. Granted the other options certainly have their own unique benefits, but the cost vs the output may not justify the extra thousands per seat. I'd like to see Rob offer something like a Lightwave Xtreme version with TFD and 3D Coat bundled with it...maybe creating some special hooks for 3DC that you can't get otherwise.

• Advanced Member

Probably right. Lw 11.5 already has so many features for free. The manual addendum is very long feature list.

TFD will probably make an appearance in lw 12.

One thing I really like about lightwave is its super stable. I feel confident using it for freelance work where its just me doing all troubleshooting and I know its not going to give me problems. I can't say the same from other software I've used in the same category.

• Advanced Member

This has got to be one of the best lightwave version ever from newtek. And I'm usually very critical of lightwave.

Reading through the manual and testing the different tools there's so many time saving features added. Besides the genoma rigging, ae zbrush app links, bullet, vpr enhancement, flocking and instancing and modelling tools enhancement, the two that got less focus is compositing buffer export's multi-channel exr and geocache multi-mdd loader. These two are so useful. I'm testing them with old projects that would have helped me speed up and streamline workflow.